Johnny Marr performs The Smiths' classic "How Soon is Now?"

7 Likes

Whenever I’m a little sad, I either watch videos of Big Boi from OutKast talking about Kate Bush or I think about Robert Smith punching Morrissey in the arm and Morrissey crying.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Seems this is a thread that isn’t so interested in Johnny Marr as it is a (well justified) take down of Morrissey.

I can understand this as the music linked to the Marr clip is not so good in my opinion,

Kinda feel sad for Marr that his name evokes hate on Morrissey and not a discussion around his music.

It was great actually. I’m sure that Marr is perfectly happy with his post-Smiths career and doesn’t need us to boost his ego.

If it turned into a Morrissey thread, that’s because when many think of the Smiths, they think of him, rather than Marr, ignoring how central was Marr to writing the songs for the band.

8 Likes

Because of when I started becoming interested in music, I think of Johnny Marr being in Electronic with Bernard Sumner and Neil Tennant rather than in The Smiths.

I didn’t find Morrissey’s solo work that interesting by comparison.

3 Likes

I love Electronic! An excellent and underrated supergroup if you ask me!

It really isn’t… his lyrics aren’t as good as when he was with the Smiths (for some weird reason) and the music just came off as a pale imitation of Marr’s writing style…

But I have not posted this yet…

3 Likes

Exactly.

Be nice to discuss Marr’s music.

This is part of why we’re here…

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I saw Johnny Marr live in Hyde Park - mix of his own stuff and the Smiths and was a fantastic day in the Sun (it was a music festival and he was on top form).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.