Jordan Klepper visits the "anti-mandate" trucker convoy

Piped is a good alternative for this and giving less data to G.

3 Likes

And ours can’t even come up with their own thing. Qanon, MAGA, and Confederate flags?!

10 Likes

The Ottawa police are (finally!) clearing the protests, and I’ve been keeping half an eye on the news coverage all day.

My favourite bit so far was the woman telling the cops she was there because it was SO UNFAIR that she wasn’t able to leave Canada to go on holiday.

12 Likes

Egads! That’s the most convenient frontend I’ve ever seen! I doubt it will last.

Too bad the video isn’t quite as lively as I’d hoped it would be.

And it has exposed woeful inadequacies in Ottawa’s municipal policing, and perhaps provided an example of how others may be better-prepared. (Maybe if a more troubling threat comes along, it will be dealt with more effectively now than it would have been otherwise?)

7 Likes

New favourite moment!

I was watching CTV’s live coverage. They were talking to a Dutch / British permanent resident. There’s some paraphrasing…

Interviewer: Why are you here?
PR: This is the land of the free!
Interviewer: Have anyone tried to stop you?
PR: No, we’ve been walking around all day.

That made me laugh. Her follow-up, though…

PR: It all changed in the UK when the MPs held Boris Johnson accountable!

… is she talking about the same Boris as the rest of us?

8 Likes

Isn’t it though? I agree, it can’t possibly last, i remember hooktube also looked promising to begin with. There’s also NewPipe on android but when youtube makes backend changes it breaks until updated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewPipe

5 Likes

I’d be interested to see their driving records compared to the general trucker population.

7 Likes
12 Likes

They use that word “peaceful,” so often. But I’ve read reports from residents saying the truckers were blaring their horns day and night.
That word, I do not think it means what they think it means…

19 Likes

Employee drivers mostly belong to the Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA), are 90% vaccinated, and have just made a statement applauding the Government of Canada’s use of the Emergencies Act. They tend to be the responsible ones. The terrorists have a higher percentage of owner-operators, who have more of a reputation as cowboys. They’re the reason for load limits, truck inspection stations on highways, limits on hours and so on.

The above, of course, is a wild generalization, unfair to many truckers, but based on talking to someone I know who worked at the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario. It should be said, too that owner-operators often have a shitty deal and are struggling.

16 Likes

Well, apart from assaulting people on the street for wearing masks, forcing their way into homeless shelters demanding food, issuing death threats against anyone who disagrees with them, and in at least one case, trying to burn down an apartment building after taping the doors shut to trap the tenants inside, they’re just a bunch of cuddly lambs.

19 Likes

Yeah, and apparently accosting masked people going about their lives…

And we all know that if this had been a BLM or some other progressive type of protest, those people would have been gone within a day… two at the most.

16 Likes

MiG, I came here to say just that. I hope the rights holder earns enough from making me unable to see a news item about my country to, I dunno, something…

48 hours at most

6 Likes

The arrests continue today, including more of the fascist and white supremacist leaders. So much for the useless former police chief and his claims that nothing could be done.

10 Likes

Someone remarked that the crowd of police clearing out the last of the flutruxklan has more colour than the protestors.

Now there’s an inversion of the “natural order” of things!

7 Likes

One demonstrator, David Paisley, a HVAC technician who has spent the protest broadcasting updates from a fishing shack on the back of a flatbed truck known as “the shed,” described the moment an officer entered the vehicle to arrest him.

“He had a big military rifle, he pointed right at my chest, he yelled at me to get down, on the ground,” said Mr. Paisley, 33, who captured the moment of his arrest on a recorded livestream. “It was like a movie scene.”

It wasn’t a military rifle, just a normal hunting rifle in case 40-50 wild boars came along. /s

12 Likes

Surely they were just patrolling for prostitutes. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I wonder how much this convoy “protest” is being pushed and funded behind the scenes as a way to foster a perception of right-wing causes as “working class” common-man causes.

15 Likes

That’s exactly what happens. The Canadian convoy is a case in point: mostly American sugar daddies with private jets and fossil fuel companies making the bulk of donations to a handful of fascist and racist organisers who co-ordinate a mix of a relatively small group of actual blue-collar workers (a right-wing fringe themselves*) and a bunch of small-business owners with pickup trucks cosplaying them.

[* 90% of Canadian truckers are vaccinated; trucking unions and associations have opposed the blockades and occupations]

15 Likes