Judge declines to overturn Elizabeth Holmes' guilty verdict

She didn’t murder anyone.

She was happy to mislead people about their health though. Were people given a clean bill of health when they had something serious going on? I feel a very severe sentence is appropriate for acting so recklessly with peoples health and well-being.

7 Likes

bon appetit

7 Likes

I want the judge to exclaim, comic book style, “Your reality distortion field powers have no effect in this courtroom, Ms. Theranos!”

1 Like

buh bye, Betty

1 Like

Of course like pharma-douche, she’s being prosecuted for grifting very rich people, not the harm that she did with her product. The surprising thing is how easily she conned them. You don’t generally become “Old Money,” rich by falling for grifts like hers. Not surprisingly, old money tends to be more risk averse than new money. This case resembles those where somebody cons members of the same church or ethnic community and the people trust the scammer because they are 'One of us."

5 Likes

Agreed, 100%. I’m not sure if anyone has made some big infographic thingie of wildly dissonant punishments in relation to crimes (I have no data for it, but I’d bet anything things like drug possession are the ones that are most wildly out of step), but even that cop that was recently sentenced for being at the J6 insurrection only got 10 - and that’s the highest sentence for any of them so far (!) - and the prosecution was asking for 17, still less than 20.

1 Like

I watch a lot of horror, and not too many things faze me - but this is so creepy.

1 Like

I guess that depends on whether you think her investors were the only ones hurt by her actions.

By knowingly promoting fraudulent medical technologies she diverted finite resources and investment dollars away from legitimate medical research that might have saved lives. And that’s not even counting the patients who were directly harmed through this bogus tech.

5 Likes

They still invest what looks like large amounts to most of us in high-risk stuff like this, but it’s basically mad money they can afford to take a flyer on. It’s like the average person visiting Vegas who has the discipline to gamble a maximum $200/day knowing that it will likely all be lost. New money, in contrast, is often still addicted to getting rich quickly.

What’s different in this case is that Holmes was running a confidence game in the purest sense, leveraging connections and networking to gain the trust of old money so that they’d gamble more than they would otherwise. She worked her pitch from Stanford to Hoover right into the military-industrial complex, getting a bunch of well-respected establishment names as investors and board members.

3 Likes

Where can I stream this reboot of The Hunger

1 Like

This will go on forever until her rich family runs out of money.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.