Judge rejects Trump's effort to keep his Jan 6 papers secret

Originally published at: Judge rejects Trump's effort to keep his Jan 6 papers secret | Boing Boing

18 Likes

Appropriate song about this news

17 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

39 Likes

The Archives should have had all of this ready and delivered it last night.

C’mon Joe. They’re part of the executive.

23 Likes

The amount of stonewalling and avoidance these slimeballs have gotten away with on pure “whattya gonna do abouddit?” has really shifted the window on our sense of potential justice. Finding enough of a baby tooth left to move forward even the initial stages of investigation shouldn’t feel this good.

21 Likes

Will it just get appealed and passed on until it hits one of his appointees then sit forever.

9 Likes

ENFORCE THE SUBOEPNAS!!! Until they do, it just gives them more time to plan for the next coup.

17 Likes

7 Likes

Yep. Boxed up and ready to deliver and the committee should have had a staffer on call to recieve, sign off, and secure the docs. It’s hard to get an injunction against something that has already been done.

But government can be slow and it can be slow walked if obstruction is the game. I don’t think it is, in thise case. Article I read said the library expected delivery on Friday. Probably just a matter of the library respecting the judicial process and trying to avoid conflict and complaining later. While normally this would be good (or at least neutral), it needs to stop. There will be squaking from the orange parade no matter what and library should be taking this opportunity to do the right thing while fully covered by both the President’s expressed wishes and a solid judicial opinion.

10 Likes

His 1/6 video bloopers are going to be cringe worthy.

Most likely starting from “Go burn it down!” and “Bring me Mike’s head!” to the one ultimately released asking for “Law and order.”

3 Likes

I am so ready for more trump losing, not just election losing, but losing into jail, or at the very least banned from public office, before he can run again.

7 Likes

Unfortunately this is like watching a horror movie where the tension becomes unbearable as the characters are really slow to acknowledge - and deal with - the looming threat. You spend the whole movie pulling your hair out and screaming at the screen for the characters to get their shit together. Only at the end of this movie, the monsters survive and eat our democracy.

12 Likes

Yes, that’s one ending, but many other endings to this fucking nightmare are available too.

12 Likes

alternate endings

Ahh if only so simple.

5 Likes

Only if that is where it stops. Otherwise, they are necessary intermediate steps to get where we need to be. Which we have yet to see. :pray:

4 Likes

I feel like we’re at that part of the movie where there’s a plan, they’re executing that plan and…

3 Likes

Sadly, this is just the opening round. As long as Trump can find lawyers to do what he wants, even knowing he has a tendency to stiff them on payments (How many law suits is he facing over non-payment to attorneys including even his “Wormtongue” Giuiliani?)

He can lose a hundred times in a row and still call it is a victory and then file yet more delaying suits.

“Justice delayed is justice denied” works both ways. He wants to spin anything like this out for years and just wear people out from sheer fatigue.

4 Likes

Given his age and apparent health, the goal is likely to delay and delay until he’s dying or dead (and continuing the grift the whole time), when prosecuting a debilitated guy wouldn’t be good optics for anyone, or the impossible to prosecute a corpse scenario.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the folks in office currently aren’t too hot on setting up protocols for prosecuting people once they leave office lest it be turned on them in the next cycle…

3 Likes

The Germans don’t seem to have a problem with prosecuting old people who participated in the Holocaust…

5 Likes

NOW I understand why the ancient world opted for extreme Draconian measures when changing rulers and governments

2 Likes