Judge unhappy with the QAnon Shaman's lawyer

Originally published at: Judge unhappy with the QAnon Shaman's lawyer | Boing Boing

12 Likes

How surprising. You’d think that an attorney who willingly represents the Qanon Shaman/Momma’s Boy would be a model of legal probity. /s

34 Likes

A man who willingly dresses in the uniform of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes and commits treason to own the libs makes terrible decisions in other areas of his life? I’m shocked.

29 Likes

I mean, that’s one way of looking at it, but the lawyers who hew most closely to their ethical duties know that even plainly guilty defendants need competent legal representation.

This is pretty shocking behavior by the attorney.

15 Likes

After reading his self-written bio* I’m less shocked. He’s a conservative egomaniac and publicity hound.

[* Worth it. It’s quite … something.]

22 Likes

Anyone who is competent wouldn’t represent one of these nutballs.

6 Likes

Translation: “There was no subterfuge here, I merely tricked them with a simple deceit.”

18 Likes

Please point out to me when it was ever a good idea to piss off the judge presiding over your clients future. I’ll wait.

20 Likes

Some judges – most famously Lance Ito – can lose control of their own courtroom to an aggressive and flamboyant defense attorney in a high-profile case. Watkins seems to be that kind of lawyer, so he may have been testing the judge’s limits (while gaining publicity for his client and – more importantly – for himself and his firm).

Which isn’t to say it’s a good idea.

11 Likes

Why is 60 Minutes even giving a platform to this traitorous bozo? Because he’s the most “colorful” of the traitors?

Is this going to be the media’s angle about the insurrection: lovable band of misfits storm the capital, let’s see what makes them tick? These delusional yahoo’s don’t need a bullhorn or a stage, they need mental assistance and a prison sentence. Period.

30 Likes

My Dear Wife’s Grandfather was a New Jersey Superior Court Judge. His way back stories were all of the who [attorney] tried to pull a fast one on him. The results were not pretty, he had a few disbarred, and some languished in jail for contempt. One look at this guy, and you know not to f u c k with him.

10 Likes

Oh, there was nothing underhand or hidden about it. It was pure terfuge

19 Likes

The answer to that is, RATINGS, that would be why. Sadly so…

12 Likes

That opening line is… chef’s kiss

EDIT

I agree, everyone should read that bio it’s wackadoodle in the best ways.

10 Likes
7 Likes

If Trump was still in office I would say this could be part of a ploy to get his client the kind of publicity that might lead to a Presidential pardon even if it was likely to hurt him in court.

In current circumstances it just seems like something that borders on legal malpractice.

13 Likes

Self-centered, egotistical, and a self-proclaimed expert in all matters

He really doesn’t need to repeat himself so much

9 Likes

Competent lawyers represent terrible, mentally unwell, and obviously guilty people all the time. This defendant is no exception. Feeding the idea that only bad lawyers represent awful people isn’t good for anyone. Everyone deserves a competent legal defense and in an adversarial system we need them to have it to ensure that the system is functioning properly.

23 Likes

I’m not sure why you put the My Cousin Vinny clip there (I guess because it’s a courtroom scene), but I definitely enjoyed watching it again.

6 Likes

"Opposing counsel [said] the most dangerous place in the world as being the space “between Al Watkins and a microphone.”

i love that he thinks this is a compliment

that’s the takeaway for many people. yeah.

because the violence was so horrific - cops dying, losing eyes, etc - media doesn’t like to repeat it. but this dude and his costume they can show, and the result is the whole thing winds up seeming not so bad.

the impeachment trial helped a lot in this case. most networks - other than fox - let it air unedited. so it was the first time a lot of people saw the actual footage. but memories are short.

to me it’s a version **** ing out some of trump’s remarks when he was president. leaving you without the visceral weight of what he actually said or did

4 Likes