Judy Blume's "Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret" coming to to big screen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/18/judy-blumes-are-you-there.html

2 Likes

Holy fucksocks, getting older sucks.

That said, this is a good thing.

12 Likes

We can hope that she lives as long as Beverly Cleary…
(102 and still going)

edited to add:

Since the alternative is dying young, I’ll have to disagree.

13 Likes

Holy fucksocks, again;

I had no idea Beverly Cleary was still alive; good for her!

8 Likes

Didn’t Fudge et al. become a TV movie or some sort of series? (Certainly not the least bit memorable either way, it seems.)

2 Likes

Is it weird that I read these as a child? I’m a cis-white male and just wanted to understand what was going on with the girls. I remember not being able to visualize any of the contraptions she had to endure, and asking my Mom about them but she just said they didn’t use those anymore. I felt pretty lucky to be a boy at the time.

3 Likes

What I’m going to need is a great 12-year-old actress to play Margaret.”

I hope that works because that can really make or break a movie.

3 Likes

Beats dying.

2 Likes

That’s what they always say, anyway; but I’ve never heard the dead’s side of the story…

9 Likes

If you do, give me a heads-up, please.

2 Likes

Next time I’m invited to dance ‘the Macabray,’ I’ll try to remember…

10 Likes
4 Likes

Judy Blume’s demystification of these subjects made adolescence bearable for so many Gen-Xers in a way it hadn’t been previously.

So which of my books, kids and/or adult would you want to see adapted for series or movie?

If I had to choose, I’d suggest “Blubber” and “Then Again, Maybe I Won’t.” “Iggie’s House” was also good.

Blume has consistently refused to allow her books to become movies.

For some reason I recall a movie or TV series based on “Fudge”.

3 Likes

Somehow, I think I’ll survive.

4 Likes

I’m so confused. I saw Tiger Eyes in an empty theater in 2012. It was not a dream. Or a good movie. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1748260/

2 Likes

tumblr_ln22hsRdVh1qzgecuo1_500

3 Likes

Nah, Blume had appeal. Somehow I never got around to this one specifically, but I definitely read Blubber and Freckle Juice, and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and its sequels were universally appealing. (Perhaps I would have picked up Forever if I ever happened to see it on a shelf.) In that vein I also picked up a fair bit of Paula Danziger, Ellen Conford, Betsy Byars, and a little Caroline B. Cooney.

It struck me at the time how much of this fiction seemed to be dreary in tone.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Ah! Thank you.

2 Likes

That’s Kelly Fremon Craig, fwiw. Not being familiar with The Edge of Seventeen, and taking “Fremon” to be a rather male sounding first name, it seemed odd that Judy Blume’s resistance to filmmaking would be overcome by a couple of dudes’ overtures. But… not the case.