Jungle Cruise ride at Disney World offers adventure when it sinks with passengers aboard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/28/jungle-cruise-ride-at-disney-w.html

2 Likes

Oh man, that’s terrifying what with all the animatronic pirhanas and rubber crocodiles and hippos that were apparently bitten by vampires or something (seriously, what the heck is supposed to be going on with this guy’s teeth?)

disneyland-Jungle-Cruise-Hippo-large

11 Likes

But that means they went into that water. Yuck. I hope the get screened for something!

15 Likes

Charlie Allnut: What a time we had Rosie, what a time we had.

7 Likes

water

28 Likes

I can’t imagine the water is very deep, or it’s far from land. Though those animatronic animals are a worry, as someone
pointed out.

This isn’t the sinking of the Titanic or the Reuben James, where a significant number of thise aboard did die.

1 Like
6 Likes

Our family visited Disney World when I was 12, and I clearly remember wishing we could swim in the 20,000 Leagues ride, or even It’s a Small World or Pirates of the Caribbean.

I should have become one of those Disney explorers who sneak behind the scenes.

15 Likes

This must be the dock side of the farce

6 Likes

Something something the underside of water!

I’m tempted to ride that today at Disneyland to see what new jokes the skippers have come up with related to this event. I’ll bet there’s one about Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance no longer being the park’s most immersive attraction.

16 Likes

Disney World: It’s impossible for Jungle Cruise boats to sink!

Yesterday’s passengers: Nevertheless…

8 Likes

Point taken, but it is Florida swamp. I’m sure there are a number of non-animatronic critters in that water. Not to mention Mickey with a fake shark fin strapped to his back. OOPS wasn’t supposed to mention that.

3 Likes

woah, OT but I literally just walked out of the library thinking: “I wonder if there’s a new wayward children book in the works”

6 Likes
4 Likes

I’ve always liked the jungle cruise. It’s a good way to come down from a day of walking tens of miles in a vast crowd.

When I was there last, the Disneyland Jungle Cruise had been drained for repairs. It looked about 4 feet deep with a single rail track in the middle that the boats are somehow attached to.

8 Likes

Like always, there’s a Weird Al song for that:

5 Likes

Spring 2002 I went to Orlando for that Jaws boat ride thing, and the water looked so stanky , oil sheen on top… it was pretty gross… Also did the King Kong ride - enjoyed both more than the newer Marvel stuff at the time.

Sadly, both were removed to make way for something new and not as cool.

2 Likes

Plus various parasites and bacteria of ill repute

4 Likes

Usually it’s the motor that stops…then it’s quite an oar-deal.

8 Likes

My wife used to be a Jaws skipper there. No you did not want to end up in that water. That oily sheen is from all the hydraulic fluid. The place didn’t smell of chlorine but 'm sure they must have added something to discourage algae and bacteria. Sure as hell wouldn’t want a mouthful of it.

7 Likes