Jury acquits delivery driver who shot YouTube "prankster" harassing him in mall

With the venue and being on TV, my mom would have likely smacked me upside the head. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m guessing that, whatever Cook’s own likeliness to getting killed on his “job” before this shooting, his odds have now significantly increased.

8 Likes

Prank. Sure. I know the post used quotes, but the linked news story did not, and repeatedly referred to his actions as pranks or jokes.

you keep using that word tells GIF

I just watched one of that arsehole’s videos and, though I’m not a fan of guns, there were multiple times where I wished he and his cohort would get tased and placed in an involuntary psychiatric hold.

10 Likes

Maybe the only “employment” he can get? I wonder if five minutes is enough for job interviewers to get a real sense of him and send him on his way. Just five minutes, others might say? The way he popped into the video at 1:58 and mugged at the camera – doubling down on the stupidity that got the law involved. That gives one an inkling of something perhaps not quite right about the lad.

9 Likes

To be fair, the shooter did face accountability. He was arrested and prosecuted, and he was fortunate that the jury acquitted him. They probably thought the menacing by the YouTuber caused a level of fear in the driver that reasonably justified him acting in self-defence.

Obviously there’s a whole massive debate around self-protection but in a country as tooled up with guns and stand your ground laws as the USA, and this was Texas, you’ve got to expect this kind of incident to happen occasionally.

The whole thing could have been avoided if the YouTuber wasn’t such a wanker.

15 Likes

He reminds me of those school bullies that will get right up next to their targets and say things like “I’m not touching you.”

6 Likes

People who rob/assault/sexually assault people will commonly push into their target’s personal space to see if they will ignore the behavior, so they can more easily attack them. A huge percentage of the population has experienced assault. It’s not ok in general, but it’s really horrible to revisit the memory of an assault on any who has survived assault. Adding to the chorus who say these are not “pranks”, and should have been demonetized long ago.

15 Likes

He fucked around and found out. This kid is a bully and he got what was coming to him. In my experience, bullies are great at duping the system for their own personal gain, whether it be the law or school administration. Hence, he’s gotten away with it (even profiting by it) for so long. Glad he wasn’t killed, sorry that it came to gun violence, and he seems not to have learned the lesson.

13 Likes

I mean, let’s not forget that he’s 6’ tall and presents as White, as does his public co-conspirator.

Imagine his “pranks” being perpetrated by any other demographic in this country.

10 Likes

YouTube is okay with ‘pranksters’ upsetting people and putting them in fear of their lives? Clearly yes.

7 Likes

… almost 6½

He knows he scares people just with his presence and he’s getting off making it worse and worse

8 Likes

YouTube algorithms are the problem

The shooter (and the woman who was previously targeted need to sue them). Take a chunk of that money. That is how the current system should work.

4 Likes

Also, he’s probably just waiting for the big score video that catapults him to the top of genre with star earnings, or something.

3 Likes

Depends on their race.

2 Likes

And speaking of how tired I am of YouTube “pranks”, it appears now that the Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian’s Wall was chopped down as a TikTok prank.

Maybe TikTok / YouTube “pranks” should also receive their punishments on YouTube.

2 Likes

14 Likes

that’s the truth right there, and the fact the cartoon is from 1975 makes me want to cry. it’s not like we haven’t all known what the problem with guns are, and yet. here we are :crying_cat_face:

7 Likes

YouTube algorithms don’t exist in a vacuum. This is the result of human business decisions and priorities.

14 Likes

Maybe he should start pranking cops at night.

5 Likes