Just a ninja master practicing nunchucks

Hmm, YMMV. (Or, no, actually, it was not ‘always wrong’.)

NHS in UK (who ought to know) refer to it as Down’s Syndrome

Wikipedia says

Down syndrome or Down’s syndrome , also known as trisomy 21 ,

and further says

It is named after British doctor John Langdon Down, who fully described the syndrome in 1866

I have Crohn’s Disease named after a Dr Crohn not a Dr Crohn’s. It has never been referred to as Crohn Disease.

So it is a syndrome named after a Dr Down, making it Down’s Syndrome.

2 Likes

“Doctor, I’ve got Bright’s Disease and he’s got mine”

– S.J. Perelman

1 Like

I take that as a compliment :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah, I’ve had an interesting life, and I’m still a tail end millennial. Live the stories from the book you’d want to read I say.

Now the most dangerous thing I deal with are rampant ignorant hillbilly covidiots who refuse to wear masks where I work. If only nunchaku were legal here!

1 Like

Down vs. Down’s

• NDSS uses the preferred spelling, Down syndrome, rather than Down’s syndrome.
  • Down syndrome is named for the English physician John Langdon Down, who characterized the condition, but did not have it. An “apostrophe s” connotes ownership or possession.
  • While Down syndrome is listed in many dictionaries with both popular spellings (with or without an apostrophe s), the preferred usage in the United States is Down syndrome. The AP Stylebook recommends using “Down syndrome,” as well.

This guy is great. Keep on keeping on.

1 Like

Dr. Burrill Bernard Crohn did not have the disease that was named after him, either. Of course the possessive apostrophe does not denote that they had the disease that was named after them. It denotes it was named after them. Whether Dr Crohn or Dr Down, it’s ‘their disease’ in each case insofar as they discovered it and in a sense ‘own’ it (and thus by default, named it).

NDSS may denote what they wish, and this may influence US usage, but here in UK it does not.

So, as I said, Down’s Syndrome was not “always wrong” as you claimed.

That’s all I pointed out. I did not say Down Syndrome was wrong, either. Though, grammatically, to me it does not parse.

Does NDSS refer to Crohn Disease, out of interest?

ETA

This article (below) may be of interest and points out how and why usages are different and why many believe the 's is entirely legitimate from a grammatical point of view, while acknowledging that US usage differs. I suspect this is probably because the conference referenced in the article fell into the grammatical trap the article later describes. And hence while US usage may now differ, it does so for erroneous reasons, grammatically.

So I expect NDSS does now use Crohn Disease.

I too have done some martial arts and dabbled with nunchaku enough to know how much it hurts if you accidentally clip a testicle with the chain (though my buddy full on clocked a testicle, and bruised it enough that we considered a Dr. visit).

That being said, I might point out that Mr. Billy here is double wielding…

1 Like

The entirety of my experience with ’chuks was growing up in Hawai‘i in the eighties. That meant the opportunity to watch every idiot in the neighborhood knock off a few more bits of executive function over and over and over and over again, day in and day out. Always had enough sense not to even try them, though I did get “good” with a butterfly knife.

My dad’s a karate instructor so our home always had some related ephemera. One of the things he has is a set of nunchucks but i never dared play with them as a kid because they were made out of heavy hard wood. Getting clipped with one of those anywhere would likely instantly break something

I’m learning how not to hit myself in the head with nunchuks in my kobudo classes right now. It’s fun.

This is why devilsticks are my preferred firetoy. The burning bit is the part that you aren’t holding on to, so if it all goes wrong you can just run away.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.