Just gonna say, we tried a moderate in 2016 and it got us Trump /r/unpopularopinion

Why should we be surprised? Sure Biden is better than Trump but, lets not pretend that the same market forces that back Trump aren’t backing Biden. Literally someone posted stats that showed the stocks of Big Pharma and Insurance Companies going up after he won South Carolina. I remember someone in a 60 minutes clip saying: “If Trump wins, business is good and if Hillary wins, business is still good”.

I don’t think I ever argued with you about that.

Just pointing it out. We might be fighting for the soul of the nation and Joe Biden might not be on the side of the hatemongers and nazis but, lets not pretend he isn’t on the side of the broken capitalist system. A system that overwhelmingly benefits the rich > the middle class that the democrats ironically helped build.

You’re preaching to the choir, to put it bluntly.

Biden has been on the wrong side of just about every vote that mattered to me. I brought that up once, in discussion, and was told he was simply “doing what was common knowledge at the time” or something to that affect. (I also voted for Obama, and really hated that Biden was on that ticket.)

2 Likes

Also…

2 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah, all those debates that were held before he joined the race… I tried to pretend that ideas mattered more than money, and I tried to take it seriously when people would drop out at that time. Then Bloomberg sidesteps all that nonsense, jumps to the head of the line with all this fucking money, and the DNC has to pretend that he is a more worthy candidate than all those others who dropped out before he entered. Because money talks.

Between Trump and Bloomberg, the 1% has got its bets well and truly covered here. Everyone else looks pretty much screwed no matter which one takes it. I hate the idea of a president Biden, but he is at least more boring than the angry pumpkin… which is a terribly low bar for the blue team to be setting.

2 Likes

We’ll probably get some of those “deep state” as he calls them, or more correctly “concerned diplomats and other experts in their fields” back in office, under Biden. I suppose that’s a plus. It just feels like far too little, and far too late, to deal with the damage already done by, lets face it, those using Trump. Because Trump was never the problem, he was the inevitable outcome of other problems we have in this country.

And the people saying that they’d rather see Trump win than Bernie?

3 Likes

Idiot is too mild a term to use.

1 Like

Speaking of which, not hard to tell what side he’s on.

1 Like

The problem is that “Blue” has been moving so far so fast to the Right that it is Red from four years ago. “Vote for us you nasty little Poors. We’re not quite as bad as actual Fascists yet” isn’t working very well.

Yeah, I’d like to see some actual citations for that. As far as I can tell, the Democrats are shifting (slowly) to the left.

1 Like

Tax cuts for the Rich made permanent and expanded.
Automatic austerity for the rest of us.
Replacing Progressives in the Inner Party with corporate lobbyists.
The evisceration of Labor under the Clintons.
The disastrous “Free Trade” deals which have de-industrialized us under Clinton and Obama
Neoliberal economics everywhere
Explicit statements by, just to name one, Pelosi that any movement to the Left on anything must be “incremental if at all”
Shit-canning even the public option under Obama in favor of the Republican plan from six years before
DOMA and DADT. The only reason those are gone is because of SCOTUS decisions
Democratic support for gutting bankruptcy protections (Thanks, Uncle Joe!)
Support for mass incarceration of Black people (especially Clinton)

I could go on for a couple days just listing this sort of shit.

4 Likes

‘Electable.’ How I hate that word. It means, ‘I’ll signal virtue by paying lip service to the “better” candidate, and blame my prejudice on the rest of the electorate.’

1 Like

I disagree with the assertion that it was the Blue that moved. No. The right has moved so far right over the last 20 YEARS (not 4)….that the center is way right now from where it was.

Many of the centrists are really still centrists. We see them as more right because the “standard right” or as Maher puts it “Republican classic” is way far right than it once was

1 Like

I believe you are sugar coating. Or, at least, being really quite generous.

3 Likes

It’ll be a miracle if Biden beats Trump. Trump is going to wipe the stage with him.

4 more years of this asshole. I need to go soak in the tub for a while and try not to think about it.

With the current placement of the Overton Window, ‘mainstream’ Democrats are a little bit to the right of, say, Goldwater or Nixon. Sanders’s visions for social programs are considerably less ambitious than those of Johnson (and he was right at the conservative fringe of the Democratic Party.) ‘Centrist’ Republicans are more aligned with the likes of Ezra Taft Benson or Robert Welch.

2 Likes