Justice Department asks White House to invoke executive privilege over Mueller report

Bring it on. If they invoke exec privilege, it can then be litigated in the courts.

3 Likes

Bill Clinton was impeached because he committed perjury. Ignoring the politics surrounding the investigation, that was a proper legal move to make-- he lied under oath which is against the law.

Trump has directed his subordinates to break the law, which is the same as Trump breaking the law himself. Congress has the legal authority to request and be provided with any tax return, and Trump has directed the IRS to not comply. Trump told the head of Homeland Security to close the border, he refused because thatā€™s illegal, and Trump promised to ā€œprotect him.ā€

Republicans like to point at Democrats as being partisan, but thereā€™s nothing more partisan than ignoring the law to protect your own partyā€™s leader.

20 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be ironic if the Chinese could find the unredacted report (and Trumpā€™s tax returns, for good measure) and were to release them? Trumpā€™s plans to declare a ā€œtrade warā€ give them a good reason to want him distracted this week ā€¦

4 Likes

Well, Exec. Privilege has been invoked and as it goes to litigation I have NO faith in the courts to do what was once called ā€œthe right thingā€.

6 Likes

HOUSE TO TRUMP:

12 Likes

Some political candidate should say: ā€œChina if youā€™re listening Iā€™m sure you would be greatly rewarded if you could find Trumps tax returns and the unredacted Mueller Reportā€.

4 Likes

tenor

7 Likes

The problem is not that Trump has so much crime to hide (although surely he does).

The problem is all the other criminals whose crimes will be exposed when Trumpā€™s crimes are exposed, and the lengths they will go to prevent this from happening.

Some of these other criminals will be wealthy powerful men; some of them will be public figures such as Senators, Congressmen, governors, mayors and attorneys general; others will be captains of finance and industry; yet others will be Mafiosi.

One of these allied criminals might even be William Barr [Steve Mnuchin, Mitch McConnell, etc.].

http://gnomonchronicles.com/wiki/Trump's_Crimes_(nonfiction)

8 Likes

America has been losing to these bastards for four decades, if not longer.

7 Likes

Nixon got forcibly sneezed out of the Presidency like a hardened booger, and with good reason. Yet he ended his days a revered statesman.

4 Likes

What would Trump have to do to sell you on impeachment ?

Shoot someone on the street in NY ?

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a good reason to begin impeach proceedings, regardless of the Senate or the outcome:

Because the current Congress has not authorized an impeachment inquiry, the ability of the House to enforce its subpoenas or to punish Barr is sharply circumscribed. History affords Congress maximum power only when it is investigating a possible impeachment.

10 Likes

I didnā€™t say Iā€™m against impeachment either. We got rid of Nixon without impeachment. But we were on the road there, with articles drawn up in committee and getting ready for a voteā€“in other words, things were rapidly moving forward as the public was becoming educated about the need for impeachment and their support for it was growing. Thatā€™s the approach to take here, not jumping the gun because we feel like we need to take a specific actions.

And btw itā€™s ā€œshoot someone on 5th avenueā€ specifically.

1 Like

Again, I donā€™t know why Dem leadership is so weak/useless on this: Force an Impeachment vote. List all the charges. And then MAKE every Republican in the Senate stand up and put their name to the idea that fraud, self-dealing, crony capitalism, obstruction of justice and violating the constitution spirit and letter both are fine with them. Then run the footage of McConnell and every other Repub saying how they wonā€™t impeach a man who is so clearly, demonstrably guilty because they get tax cuts and judges and war funding from him, 24/7, leading up to the 2020 election.

But Nancy Pelosi would rather help Biden get elected than protect the nation. Itā€™s disgusting.

16 Likes

sounds like another count of obstruction to me

8 Likes

Betsy DeVos and her fascist brotherā€¦ I know, we could keep going with this.

9 Likes

And therein lies the dilemma: shall we expose are we capable of exposing the entire Oligarchy as criminals?

Update: rephrasing for emphasis.

6 Likes

I always wonder why Hackers go after political campaigns and Bitcoin; have one capable person wipe out the banks of the Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Switzerland, etc, etc, and see what happens to the 1%. ā€¦*

• I know this is ā€˜illegal.ā€™ But then, stashing your money secretly in an offshore tax haven already is.
2 Likes

I would speculate that the security of your average bank is far better than your average political campaign. That most banks (particularly well funded ones) are not particularly low hanging fruit.

I mean, Wells Fargo hasnā€™t been hacked yet, if that is any indicatorā€¦

1 Like

That just makes it all the more worth trying for some hacker-in-search-of-a-cause ā€¦