Justice Scalia spent his last hours with members of a secretive society of elite hunters

[Read the post]

1 Like

Rich influential white guy hangs out with other rich influential white guys. Film at eleven.

14 Likes

Killing stuff is not my preferred method of honoring, but whatever the Founders wanted, I guess.

11 Likes

Hmmm

As per @nemomen, I think “hunters” needs to be in scare quotes.

The International Order of St. Hubertus, according to its website, is a “true knightly order in the historical tradition.” In 1695, Count Franz Anton von Sporck founded the society in Bohemia, which is in modern-day Czech Republic.

Franz Anton von Spork? Sounds more like the founder of a knighthood dedicated to fried chicken in paper buckets.

12 Likes

according to the Order’s website.

one of the most well-known secret societies in the country.

I’m not sure they understand what the word “secret” means.

13 Likes

or they are just really bad at that secret part.

3 Likes

My father in law is a member of the Bohemian Club – has been one for 50+ years – and I have attended a thing or two at the Grove and many things at the Club in San Francisco. And (while OF COURSE I am going to say this): I love a good conspiracy, but if my father-in-law is a member of a grand conspiracy, the sum benefits of a World-Spanning, Humanity-Controlling Conspiracy that have accrued to me, in 20 years, was he introduced me to Bob Weir and Steve Miller once, in each case not being entirely sure who they were, only that he knew I was a fan.

16 Likes

I guess it would have been a bit weird if he’d spent it with ‘elite hunters’ as in the sense of ‘lion hunters’ but we live in an imperfect world…

1 Like

Upon hearing of his death, I honestly assumed he had spent his last hours with a hooker. I’m still not really convinced he didn’t.

3 Likes

At 1st glance, I thought it was St. Hubris. It works.

5 Likes

His greatest joy, hunting homeless veterans for sport and food.

2 Likes

As far as we know the horse is now with an animal shelter and the hush money has been paid to the childrens’ parents.

2 Likes

The other disturbing thing about this hunting ranch besides shooting captive birds is this:
http://www.cibolocreekranch.com/hunting-en.html#item_41

Shooting mountain lions and foxes in remote unpopulated areas is a dick move. Having people scout them for you for extra convenience is a complete dick move.

11 Likes

Or, “a scalia”.

8 Likes

So, “spending his last hours in their company” as a fox might spend its last hours in the company of hounds and insufferable twits on horseback…

2 Likes

It is the best secret society! Look at how awesome it is! It has more marble pillars and gold leaf than your crummy secret society!

2 Likes

I bet he was a member of an exclusive Golf Country Club too!

1 Like

I 've seen the film Michael Douglas took the lead role and the story is they never really liked animals but they went out and hunted bad guys.

1 Like

14 Likes

Oh yeah? I’ll make my own secret society with blackjack… and hookers!

7 Likes