Kamala Harris makes it official

Except it’s the primaries and that’s what you have to do.

Don’t want her, don’t need her, not a fan.

But in the general, I’ll still pull the lever for her. I’ve been voting D for three decades now, you think I can’t vote and make a j/o motion at the same time? Does the name “Mondale” ring a bell?

I understand where the sentiment comes from, but kindly may I ask you to generously pretend confidence in the the fact that I do kind of understand the process. Not everyone is “the reason” you need to crack down on. Yes, I’ll be watching to see who else comes forward with anticipation. I see no reason to jump on this early and no reason to pretend that I know who will still be in the running six months from now. I happen not to be a fan of KH. That’s simply where I stand, no further implications.

6 Likes

Nah. She’s not perfect. So lets destroy her first, before she ever has the chance to combat Trump.

I mean, that’s just the Democrat playbook right? Democrats will always ferociously gnaw away at each other, incurring fatal damage, sometimes even before Russian/GOP operatives manage to get around to it.

I’m sure she has some fine, buttery emails that we can keep talking about from now till 2020.

Again, the Wall Street myth. Hillary gives some speeches, so she’s beholden and tainted. Well, good job. We kept Hillary out. Mission accomplished. And Trump passes $1 Trillion in tax cuts for Wall Street. And when we keep another Democrat out of the WH in 2020 and Trump passes another trillion along to the wealthy, I guess that’s another… victory?

9 Likes

Counter-power is the way forward.

Vote D, but fight against any and all authoritarian and right wing attitudes they might hold as if they are R once they are elected. Humanity depends on it.

14 Likes

Sure, almost any republican would be a better choice than trump, let alone any democrat or most any random person on the street, but that doesn’t mean they can beat him and doesn’t mean people will get excited about them.

At this point, donors need to hear from activists and voters about what flaws aren’t unacceptable. Some candidates will be bolstered by grassroots fundraising, but some candidates could take a more Hillary like path bolstered more by large donors.

2 Likes

Seems like the female candidates get criticized more on that score for some reason.

9 Likes

Sure, presidential candidates aren’t all that likable and all of them sort of have taken all the limits off their ambition and we really shouldn’t accept that in men and reject it in women. But the question here isn’t likability, I think the question is more about looking prison labor in the eye and not thinking that maybe a moral objection was required.

It’s a thing that Hillary Clinton had in her history, from when prisoners were assigned to work in the Governors Mansion and she thought she had some responsibility to teach them how to move towards straightening out their lives rather than thinking maybe exploiting the labor of people making pennies wasn’t something that should maybe make her vomit.

It’s fine to point out problems with Hillary or Harris’ positions and records, the thing that bothers me is framing either one as an especially bad candidate compared to pretty much any major party candidate in the history of our country.

I fully expect that whoever eventually gets the nomination will have serious flaws, and it’s good and necessary to push back against those flaws. What is not OK is expressing indifference in the outcome of an election just because you didn’t get a candidate you agree with on every issue.

9 Likes

The Discourse™️:

&

Totally healthy culture.

I’m not sure which is worse: the xenophobia, or the cynical weaponisation of that xenophobia for political ends.

13 Likes

For F-ing us all in the…

3 Likes

Dangit. I loved her tenacity during the Kavinaugh hearings. Her and Cory Booker Both. Of course Booker’s got that thing with protecting the pharmaceutical industry in his district. One begins to think pobody’s nerfect. In any case, i hope we have a robust debate through the primaries and that the worst candidates drop out. Most of all i just hope bloomberg and this starbucks jerk stay out of it. last thing we need is a spoiler handing it easily to Trump.

3 Likes

I agree, we shouldn’t set a different standard for any candidate simply because of what they are and protest votes are foolish when the worse candidate winning can have a devastating effect of the lives of vulnerable peoples.

But I also hope we are looking at some very different political times where maybe nominees won’t fit the standard mold.

15 Likes

Please let this stop before it gets to Joe Biden.

10 Likes

Two years of authoritarians trying to pretend to be AOC. Fuck.

19 Likes

I’m guessing you mean Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC). It was a damn joke.

“No, not for a long time. Thank God,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “Although we’ve been joking that because the Equal Rights Amendment hasn’t been passed yet, the Constitution technically says he cannot run unless he’s 35. … So what we’ll do is we’ll force the Republican Party to pass the Equal Rights Amendment by threatening to run for president.”

She’s probably one of the few Congresscritters who’s actually read the US Constitution.

Likewise, I’m glad she announced early so she can lose the nom to a progressive.

7 Likes

Imitation of a better person is the sincerest form of desperation. /s

3 Likes

/s

5 Likes

It’s not xenophobia if the xenomorphs are actually out to get you.

As Andrew Torrez of openargs.com says: if someone, however sincerely, is recapitulating the social media driving trollies of your country’s adversary, perhaps that person should take a step back and reevaluate.

4 Likes