Kamala Harris makes it official

With KH, it’s a 2-for-1 deal.
Along with making History!

Sure it would be!
…for 26 people!

1 Like
10 Likes

You do realise that as evidenced by her 1981 High School year book Harris was dancing before AOC could even walk.

“Old friend Wanda Kagan told the Canadian Press last year that Midnight Magic was their amateur dance troupe, which she said performed at fundraisers and for seniors at community centres.”

Love of dance is cross generational. And also stop pitting women against each other. It’s a bad look.

5 Likes

Don’t read too much into people’s statements. “Authoritarians” doesn’t mean specifically single out women, and “trying to be AOC” doesn’t only mean dancing. I would say the same about any male candidate who was suddenly trying to earn cred.

She supported FOSTA/SESTA and no matter how progressive they’re trying to spin her, she’s still going to be a cop. Sure, she may have resisted the Kavanaugh appointment, but I sincerely doubt she’s going to support the least of us if she takes office
Kamala Harris is a cop, and she’s working undercover.

10 Likes
  1. You responded to a video of Harris dancing, with a reference to AOC, who has also been in the news for dancing.

2. Harris is 54 and had a high powered job in a white male dominated profession as a black woman. AOC is 28 and has never held a position of any authority. Unsurprisingly, never having been in a position of power AOC has also never made a publicly visible mistake. Given that AOC is human the likelihood is that by age 54 she also will have made mistakes and provide ample ammunition with which she can be attacked.

3. In your comment you have clearly pitted two women against each other. Harris is the subject of the article and AOC your only reference. Stop.

Argue the policy. Criticise the decisions but stop the blanket ad hominem attacks.

Here is an opportunity to raise the level of discourse in this new round. And maybe the US and the rest of the globe might actually end up with a president who knows how to spell.

I have no stake in this game other than watching the awful misogynistic comments spring out of nowhere before the campaign has even begun. They eerily echo 2016.

ETA

And just so we are all clear what it is we are up against here. Minutes after Harris announced her candidacy the demands for her birth certificate started.

2 Likes

I responded to KH projecting an air of “hipness” or youthful vitality, which many right-leaning Democrats are trying to project since AOC won her election.

Sure, experience comes with age, but not everybody learns from it. If that were true, our country wouldn’t be headed by an incompetent.
Seeing the issues AOC fights for, and how passionately she fights for them, I doubt she will knowingly make any serious mistakes. I pray she doesn’t.

Alternatively, Harris did have a high-powered job in a white male dominated profession, but look at the nature of that profession…securing the dominance of rich white men as an institution over POC and the rest of the underserved. So many varied jobs in “justice” work that strive for equity, and that’s the path she chose?

Apparently, you missed my jab at Joe Biden above.

But the post was about dancing, or as I thought, advertising one’s youthful vigor when someone else’s youthful vigor seems to be the sticking point for many critics, which completely misses the point of the importance of AOC’s policies.

6 Likes

It sounds more like you are on the quest for a messiah, rather than political leadership?

If you seriously don’t see what’s wrong with reprimanding a 54 year old woman, who has been passionate about dancing all her life, for grooving, than maybe you need to read this article:

You might not believe it but ,many of us middle aged women have loved dancing all our lives and actually feel youthful and vigorous when dancing.

In fairness a big part of her legacy as a prosecutor was also taking on oil companies and other institutions dominated by rich white men. Not many prosecutors can claim they issued subpoenas to Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, Phillips 66, Valero Energy, and Tesoro or obtained dozens of indictments for criminal wrongdoing by same. She also used the power of her office to enforce internet privacy from app developers. So her record as a prosecutor is far from flawless but it’s also not entirely bad.

11 Likes

9 Likes

Not really. I have no skin in the game. But, take on the woman not her

or dancing skills.

edit: for correct citation

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point… it’s not actually about loving to dance, it’s about trying to look cool and hip on social media, because more centrist candidates (like KH) view that as what attracts people to AOC, when that’s not the cause.

11 Likes

It would be really fucking nice if the Dems could at least get a candidate that didn’t make political capital off brutalizing communities of color.

11 Likes

I’m on a quest for something that’s not more of the same, protecting the rich and persecuting the least of us.

I have nothing against grooving, no matter the age or gender, except maybe the movie Footloose :wink:

It’s about the timing.
AOC gets elected, and comes in intending to stir up trouble, and shows that this is what the people want. What happens next? Centrist and right-leaning Dems fall all over themselves to project the same, when in the past, it was not their style, nor supportive of their own policies.
I’m not saying AOC was doing it first, but all of a sudden, it appears everyone wants to project cool.
People love AOC for her policies. The rest is a fantastic bonus.

As @Mindysan33 says more concisely, above.

What I fear most is wolves wearing “progressive” clothing this election cycle.

11 Likes

Seriously?

Kamala Harris is not

she is cool. Her only fault in the dancing and looking cool department is that she happens to be over 50. She was cool on the dance floor before AOC knew how to walk, there is no trying here.

Did AOC somehow discover dancing, when her college video surface. Just because the previous generation didn’t document every move we made doesn’t mean there was no cool before 2019 Reps entered the field.

AOC is brilliant and hopefully she will have the right support to stay brilliant and correct the mistake she will inevitably make but, let’s not pit youth against expereince just because they are women.

Reading this topic, it sounds more like you are on a quest for a needless controversy rather than a good-faith discussion.

AOC got some fame and goodwill from her fellow Millenials for the video of her dancing. It’s not surprising that an older Dem establishment candidate (of either gender, including those of a more authoritarian Third-Way bent than AOC) might want to hop on that bandwagon to show that she, too, is “down with the youts”. It’s also not surprising that Harris might be doing this to soften her image, as more technocratic politicians are wont to do when trying to have more popular appeal.

Also, there’s no real “youth-vs-experience” or any other sort of competition here between Harris and Ocasio-Cortez, because the latter can’t run for President.

Harris is a solid contender for the 2020 nomination, but for the more progressive wing of the party, the one that elected AOC, she definitely has some problematic areas about past positions. I’m hoping she’ll address them with more openness and humility than the 2016 candidate did with her own problematic issues.

9 Likes

This.

9 Likes

Good luck with that in a structurally racist society. Anyone in position of power will inevitably have taken decisions against POC.

People have danced, eaten, campaigned and lived life before AOC. Admittedly, without documenting every move, but again that is a generational thing.

AOC owns SM. Great. But, that shouldn’t mean that no one else can breath without being compared with her.

Not really, I am trying to make the point that someone who has danced all her life dancing is not per se an advertising campaign, just a fact.

My point is that Harris is known as a dancer, she didn’t suddenly start dancing. The reason why it’s newsworthy is down to AOC–but, that is a different story.

Other than that, I find the underlying agism hard to take. But 50+ women being treated in a shitty way is not news, so I will bow out.

2 Likes

Absolutely. So let’s discuss her policies not her dancing style.

You’re still missing the point that @knoxblox is making about democrats trying to connect with the youths through social media.

What makes AOC different is that she has a clear set of ideas that actually resonate with lots of people, not that she danced on a video. No one who is drowning in student debt, thrown in jail for a bit of weed, having their siblings, cousins, and friends shot by the cops and those cops getting off, looking down the barrel of the gig economy and wondering if there is any point in starting a family actually gives a shit about that video.

Miss me with that condescending shit about how I’m pitting youth against women (because I guess magically women only exist after 40 or some shit?). As a woman over 40, I know very well how society treats us and what it demands of us. I have no problem with KH doing whatever she wants, but you’re pretty blind if you can see or admit that it’s aimed at trying to cultivate a particular style online - it’s marketing, because the democratic party, since the Clintons have embraced marketing as a key part of their strategies. Of course it is. She’s a career politician so she knows how to play the game. But trying to look “cool” has been one way candidates have attempted to reach the younger demographics INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT POLICY ISSUES THAT EFFECT THEM. AOC is DOING that very thing.

Stop acting like not wanting to support a candidate because of their actual background in the political realm is being some pie in the sky, uninformed voter, because it’s not. Her policies as attorney gen in CA aren’t a deal breaker for YOU, that’s fine. Support her. But stop acting like you’re the only one with an informed opinion on her record, because you’re not.

12 Likes