Kambo: the new age frog poison killing people and the rainforest

Originally published at: Kambo: the new age frog poison killing people and the rainforest | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Sorry about your friend. I feel sad for all the people who are desperate enough to try a toxic “miracle cure” like this. It did take something like a miracle, plus a very strong motivation, & a few people who really cared, for me to quit alcohol. AA can be very helpful or there are non-religious alternatives.

11 Likes

The “The intensity of [bad side-effect] just means it’s working!” effect is strong in the woo community.

8 Likes

This is of course the promise of the unregulated market, because all of nature only exists as resources to be turned into money by whoever is bold (unscrupulous) enough. Species not useful to humans might be spared if they are lucky enough to stay out of the way, but it’s only until someone makes up a use – real or not doesn’t matter.

I’m so sick of late stage capitalism destroying everything, but of course that’s what it does.

6 Likes

“But I thought the butterfly was the symbol of transformation… you know, caterpillar-pupa-butterfly?”

“Yes. And we have a bowl of caterpillars for you to eat next.”

“Cool!! Man oh man, I am going to be soooo f$%king transformed!”

4 Likes

“It can actually adapt to an aqueous environment and also a terrestrial one, right? So in taking the kambo, we take on the ability to be flexible.”

Can’t argue with that logic …

4 Likes

I have no idea what really goes on but I know a lot of not religious folks who have found AA to work for them, perhaps there are more spiritual and less god focused variants?

4 Likes

Color me shocked. Poison dart frogs (I am assuming here, don’t specifically know about Giant Monkey frogs) secrete batrachotoxin specifically to keep from being eaten. It is nasty shit and causes horrible convulsions and even death. How the hell did this become a cure-all?

5 Likes

Well, it can’t adapt to being harvested.

2 Likes

This is a tree frog secreting peptides like dermorphin, which unlike batrachotoxin and other compounds from poison dart frogs it produces itself. For the purpose of not being eaten of course. But it has some opioid effects so I guess people ran from there.

6 Likes

I can barely deal with poison fart dogs.

2 Likes

No idea, but I expect the phrase ‘ancient wisdom’ was used more than once.

3 Likes

Cultures are another resource to be harvested.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.