Karen Allen recalls filming 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'

The action moved fast enough that people tended not to question it, but it was a little puzzling that they didn’t want to just take their chances gliding down to a controlled crash landing rather than leap from the plane. Also, why did the plane that was completely out of fuel instantly explode upon impact with the mountain? We’re the chickens in cargo especially combustible? But hey, it was a fun bit of silliness so whatever.

8 Likes
  • Chilled monkey brains
9 Likes

Funny, I guess I must be the age where I remember her more as Boon’s adorable neglected girlfriend in Animal House.

3 Likes

If it wasn’t made from doped canvas, then presumably magic movie crashspolision. :wink:

Can’t remember the airframe. But a lot of inbetween ww1 and 2 era transports would blow up when they crashed.

1 Like

I always get Karen Allen confused with Brook Adams and Amy Irving.

Amy Irving would have gotten the role of Marion, except she had temporarily split from Spielberg. Does Brooke Adams also have a connection to the role of M. Ravenwood?

1 Like

Point taken. On the face of it there’s also no real difference between multi-dimensional aliens being the source of mystical happenings compared to the power of the Judeo-Christian god as manifested in a box or a cup. And yet the former felt like a betrayal. Because they had given in to the Dänikens of this world.

I think the fridge is a similar thing. In that case it’s that a nuclear bomb is too big an adversary. Indy’s charm is that he’s always the underdog. At the end, what he does is small fry stuff. Yes, he saves the world from Nazi dominance but on the way there he barely clings to the outside of a submarine, he doesn’t sink it. He steals a plane from a Zeppelin but flying it doesn’t go well. Surviving an atomic bomb on the other hand is the kind of thing a superhero does.

And at least tumbling out of a Ford Trimotor in a life raft looked survivable on screen (even if it obviously wouldn’t be in real life). The fridge being tossed about looked like it would have killed anyone inside through blunt force trauma. I think if they had shown it remaining standing while the house around it blew apart, or maybe it comically falling over after the worst was over for the rest of the house, I wouldn’t have minded the scene and suspended my disbelief about the lead lining (which I thought was actually a good gag).

But anyway, the nuke wasn’t my main issue with the movie. It’s the multiple Pixar-level animal scenes and the aforementioned aliens that are the problem.

6 Likes

It’s a Ford Trimotor

4 Likes

My 36 year old daughter would disagree about The Neverending Story. That’s one of her favorite movies.

1 Like

Even if it were lost in the sands of time, a 200 year-old Indiana Jones would come out of retirement to dig it up and destroy some of the surrounding cultural artifacts of greater value.

4 Likes

I didn’t really like the second one as much as one and three, four even less (although I still get weak in the knees everytime I see Karen Allen). But I haven’t eaten yet, and I could really go for a nice big plate full of snake surprise right about now.

1 Like

No, he did not.

5 Likes

Pretty much.

1 Like

Cat Wow GIF

2 Likes

The titular item is just a McGuffin. Like a falcon, from Malta for example.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Makes me wonder if Spielberg picked Allen because like me he saw a resemblance.

Umm… atypical beauty in a non-barbie-doll way?

1 Like

So in other words, Indy really just spends most of the film trying to save the Nazis from themselves… and fails.

That feels like a metaphor for something. (If a bad one since he did it unknowingly >.>)

1 Like

And her boning Donald Sutherland/Kurt Vonnegut out of that neglect.

1 Like

Wha!? Oh yeah - that’s right!

There you go - in Animal House Karen Allen’s character was “boning” Donald Sutherland’s professor character. In Invasion of the Body Snatchers Brooke Adams character was Donald Sutherland’s character’s girl friend, and we can safely assume was “boning” Donald Sutherland as well.

Does that count? Maybe not. But at least a win in that party game – 6 degrees of boning Donald Sutherland.

7 Likes

Or (maybe not worse but perhaps equally bad in terms of hero-worship) Indy just has no idea what the eff he’s doing?

Romancing the Stone trilogy for the win :wink:

1 Like