Karen Allen recalls filming 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'

Originally published at: Karen Allen recalls filming 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' | Boing Boing

12 Likes

i love her character and her portrayal so much. what a legend she created.

18 Likes

The Raiders story was only believable if the adventurous archaeologist had a counterpart who could hold her own

…which explains why Temple of Doom blew.

22 Likes

They miss-spelled Women, again.

images

7 Likes

I know the last movie, Crystal Skull, was not well liked but I enjoyed it because it paired up Marion and Indy again. I liked that they acted their age. I wish she was part of the final installment.

11 Likes

You have spoken the Movie Title That Must Not Be Spoken. If we do not speak of it, it may, in time, be lost in the sands of time.

3 Likes

I like the first one, not a fan of the second one but love Short Round. I love the third one because of the father son story. I could do without the space alien ending of the last one but I love the movie because of the interactions of Ford and Allen. I will watch it every time it replays on cable.

5 Likes

Ever see the 1951 Korean War film The Steel Helmet? It has an orphaned Korean kid who is nicknamed “Short Round”…

3 Likes

I know that Temple of Doom gets a lot of flack but even if the quality was uneven compared to Raiders or Last Crusade it was still packed full of iconic moments and visuals that helped define the genre and remain part of our shared cultural memory all these decades later. For example:

• The booby-trapped room with the spiked ceiling
  • The mine cart chase scene
  • The part where the dark priest rips out the guy’s heart
  • The rope bridge standoff

I can’t think of a single scene from Crystal Skull that made such an impression. I guess this shot was kind of cool, but the scene preceding it was so groan-worthy it wasn’t worth the journey to get there.

7 Likes

Mola Ram, please.

6 Likes

There’s is nothing about the refrigerator in Crystal Skull that’s any dumber than the life raft in Temple.

5 Likes

13 Likes

I hated Temple of Doom the first time I saw it opening weekend in 1984 and I’ve never changed my mind. In almost 40 years I’ve only watched it 2-1/2 times. The only movies that have disappointed me more are The Never-ending Story and Rise of Skywalker. Whenever some wit talks about their only being three Indy movies, I agree: one great, Raiders; one almost as good, Last Crusade; and one fine to stare at if you’re sick on a Saturday afternoon, Crystal Skull.

4 Likes

Has there ever been a worse character in any classic movie than the one played by poor Kate Capshaw? Almost completely unbearable.

4 Likes

Disagree. I can believe that the raft itself would have survived the fall from an airplane. And humans surviving falls without parachutes—while extremely rare—is not entirely unprecedented. Also, the raft fell down when expelled from the plane, which is the direction one would expect given the forces acting upon it.

The raft was dumb. The refrigerator was dumber.

5 Likes

Agree to disagree. I go to these movies and suspend disbelief, as God intended. No looking for logic or adherence to natural laws. Indy pushes a six ton block out of the ground-level foundation of an ancient tomb he spent half the previous night digging into? Meh. Here be Looney Tune cartoon physics, and that’s good enough for me.

4 Likes

Seeing that Raiders clip in isolation made me notice the ridiculous “bar work” business Marion is doing. She takes empty glasses from the table to the bar and back again, and smashes half of them on the floor for emphasis.

4 Likes

Just wait until you see the sequels!

2 Likes

Well, she had just consumed enough alcohol to render a much-larger-man unconscious moments before unexpectedly coming face-to-face with her sex abuser. Hard to blame her for being a little off balance.

10 Likes
  • Anything Goes
7 Likes