Kavanaugh's Yale fraternity brothers posing with a flag of womens' underwear (PHOTO)

Eh… sure, but you certainly see football teams, hockey teams, basketball teams… basically, most times you have an unsupervised organization of 18-22 year-old males, there’s a decent chance of them behaving like a dumpster fire.

I don’t think there’s anything special about fraternities, except that they are a common type of organization that doesn’t seem have an ulterior purpose (we could never get rid of football teams, right? right?), so they make an easy (and lazy) scapegoat - when in fact the problem is probably not one particular type of club, but the culture around young men, period.

1 Like

Well, yes. An organization that basically exists as an excuse for dudebros to get wasted and chase girls is more likely to have systemic problems with sexual assault than an organization that dedicates most of its energy toward the pursuit of chess or music or academia or tennis.

9 Likes

Here’s an interesting tidbit: at my school DKE was the only co-ed frat (it was the one outlier in the DKE system, populated by freaks and punks), they even had a female president for a while. BUT, as soon as DKE national found out they were co-ed they had their charter revoked.

10 Likes

Totally agree. My kid is now bored by the speech I give before every James Bond movie we watch.

8 Likes

I hate to bring race into it, but that’s one huge difference between White frats and sororities and Black ones; the latter actually does community service* and offers outreach programs, in addition to ‘partying.’

*Which sometime comes back to bite us on the ass.

12 Likes

Uh, no.
He has promised to do his masters bidding.
That bidding has deadlines.

1 Like

And um, I guess that you must be indicating that that culture had a date terminus?

Less investigation is needed. DC can draw another turkey or get a referendat.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Thanks for that. In my experience, Corey Robin is often on point. I hope he is this time too.

4 Likes

I’m indicating that in the past 30-ish years, at least some of us realize now how fucked up it was and are trying to learn from it and change.

Those of us, at least, who aren’t clinging to them like they were the golden days.

I’m a bit beyond high school/college themed movies these days. Is snatching panties still a trope in use within them? Or have we - as in pop culture - moved on? I honestly don’t know.

I would suggest the script be flipped, and the girls raid the boys undies, but that just sounds gross. Which is certainly interesting, and shows just how deep those roots still are within me. Male underwear isn’t really sexualized among women, but female underwear certainly is among men. Victoria’s Secret isn’t a Y-front.

1 Like

Not really. British universities don’t really have fraternities, but they still have rape culture problems.

7 Likes

A slightly different take. Frats are a bit different from the other groupings you mention in that they are (generally) ethnically homogenous, relatively well to do, white, male, insular and stupid. That last one is important. The humiliating stuff they required pledges to do back in the day was ridiculous. I was on a lot of sports teams and never saw anything of the like. And, of course, then you have to add in alcohol. That always improves judgement. Don’t get me wrong, frats did not invent rape culture, not by a long shot, but it is an exceptionally conducive environment for that particularly noxious weed to thrive.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know.

While yelling; “SKID MARKS!”
And; “DICK CHEESE!”

3 Likes

I really don’t want to know.

But your point is spot on; random men’s underwear is likely far too gross to be handled, not even for ‘revenge.’

No prank is worth voluntarily exposing one’s self to such horror.

4 Likes

I’m baffled by the desire of some (creepy) dudes to obtain women’s unwashed underwear. Not only should the skivvies go into the laundry, but so probably should the man-babies intent on gathering them.

4 Likes

, even in a haz-mat suit.

3 Likes

It’s never just one.

16 Likes

I’m shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

Unfortunately just like Dr. Ford I fully expect Ms. Ramirez to be raked over the coals by Republican sexual assault apologists because she concedes she’d been drinking that night (which automatically makes it her fault) and her recollection of the event is not entirely perfect.

8 Likes

Stormy Daniels’ lawyer Michael Avenatti claims he has a client ready to testify who may be assault victim number three, or at least an independent witness to one of the other assaults.

7 Likes