Keep up with the latest Twitter meltdown news at this site dedicated to monitoring Musk's daily f*ckups

He’s going to do that on a Friday, when he’s fired the moderation staff, and the technical staff are jumping ship, and everyone staying for now is locked out of the building until Monday…?

endwell

16 Likes

Today will not be known as Taco Tuesday

And he got rid of the lunches, so…

21 Likes

Saw a TikTok today that said Musk is deliberately ruining Twitter as a favor to his non-US investor partners who wish to end a platform that gives journalists near-instant global reach. Not sure I subscribe to this, but it makes more sense than Musk’s sudden radiant incompetence.

2 Likes

It’s not “sudden”; his reputation was always highly exaggerated and unearned.

29 Likes

I want my own node.

• Mastodon is too bulky for a Raspberry Pi, short of a RPi4 8G.
  • Pleroma will run down on a RPi2, but configuring it to run behind the Pi3 with my existing Mediawiki site might be awkward, and it’s in Erlang, which I have no current interest in learning.
  • Friendica might be easier for me to jump on to. It uses the same Apache, PHP, MariaDB, Let’s Encrypt chain as Mediawiki, so I could use the same server. (Violating my own isolation rule, oh well, I have backups.)

I just want something that I can federate, while using it as a test target for developing other things.

8 Likes

Like @Melizmatic says his incompetence isn’t sudden. He’s been stupidly incompetent at a lot of things for a long time, the Twitter debacle is just making his shortcomings more public.

The Musk fans who insist that he’s doing all this seemingly erratic stuff as part of a brilliant secret plan to save Twitter and the Musk critics who hypothesize that he’s destroying the company on purpose for sinister as-yet-unknown reasons have one thing in common. Neither group wants to believe that our society really is at the mercy of a handful of dumbass super-rich man-children rather than a ruling class of geniuses and supervillains.

28 Likes

Apparently Musk also just reinstated Kathy Griffin who was recently booted from Twitter for… making fun of Elon Musk.

“See, I can be cool! In my magnanimity I have extended the same courtesy to a comedian who made a joke at my expense that I am extending to fascists who dehumanize trans people! Please come back.”

14 Likes
29 Likes

Just another day right?

9 Likes

According to her fellow NHS workers in the comments, yep.

17 Likes

This is by the same woman who runs Web3 Is Going Just Great, yes?

1 Like

Amazing that someone could have more money than anyone could spend in a dozen lifetimes and instead of using it to help people or even live a non-stop hedonistic party lifestyle, he chooses to make a clown of himself, throw away his reputation, shorten his life with totally unnecessary stress, and hopefully end up locked inside the Twitter offices when the last person who controls the keycards leaves, roaming the deserted halls and sending increasingly demanding messages to unmanned computers in empty cubicles.

14 Likes

It’s built with her open source static site generator, but my suspicion is it’s run by someone internal with twitter. Or recently externalized.

4 Likes

For the record, it worked.

When I made a recent Mastodon post here it somehow when into one of them fancy boxes with the image and stuff. A “Onebox” in BB or Discourse land, I think.

I used the “Add Hyperlink” button in the BB editor, pasted the Mastodon link into it, and Boom!, a Onebox.

Maybe you just pasted the link inline with you comments?

3 Likes

Me too! Was hoping for a Pi4 solution, but can’t find any to buy.

I have a FreeBSD box running XigmasNAS for my home network; very low usage. How do I figure out how to add Mastodon server? Is this a Docker thing? A “jail” thing?

3 Likes

The main thing seems to be the memory. Mastodon uses some big middleware pieces that need a lot. (On the plus side, those are tested packages that will scale well for larger installations.)

For FreeBSD, Mastodon looks like a bit of versioning mess. There is Akkoma, “a backend, named simply Akkoma, and a user-facing frontend, named Pleroma-FE. It also includes the Mastodon frontend, if that’s your thing.”

I have no idea, but at least it has FreeBSD installation instructions.

https://docs.akkoma.dev/stable/installation/freebsd_en/

4 Likes

Staying on at Twitter just to tr0ll Elon Musk… I hope somebody’s doing it.

Given that he sent out a company email today, “Anyone who can actually write software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today” (and then asked for screenshots of their previous code), he’s practically tr0lling himself

10 Likes
5 Likes

Thanks for giving me an idea! I don’t have a Twitter account, but I run one for a non-profit organization.

5 Likes

So Paedolon believes that is a “gang sign” :joy:

It is so, so sad, because it is true. :sob:

10 Likes