Keeping it light -- what TV shows do you find unwatchable?

Downton Abbey is very well made, and even entertaining, albeit heading towards ‘in a UK soap opera’ way, (wait for it, that’s a rant for later) but the built-in political assumptions made it difficult to watch. The wealthy, upper class are terribly brave, facing a less certain future where they’ll have less money, but are noble, and upstanding in this uncertainty, are kind and compassionate to the staff, who they help out, treat well, and who know their place and loyalty.

And the lower classes can even (once) move into the upper classes, and are taken-in and loved, even though they aren’t really of the right background, and seem to get more hate fit this from the below stairs, whose station, they are getting above of.

So yeah, it’s fiction. :slight_smile:

And all of this from Julian Fellowes, and extremly popular viewing while the most upper-rank Eton/Oxford/Bullingdon government took it upon themselves to guide us into Austerity policies (and worse) and rule us wisely while being compassionate and acting in our best interests.

And yes, my immediate family and rather a lot of my extended friends, loved it.

4 Likes

[After a pause: Note to @lamaranagram - that was more political then intended, if it derails your topic or, you think it downs the tone, I’ll zap it.
Don’t especially like being ranty.]

1 Like

Its all good. No worries.

1 Like

Ta. It’s honestly why I don’t like it, but I get that this isn’t supposed to be an intense discussion.

1 Like

I’m just starting season 3, and was thinking about calling it. But, if this is when it starts to get better I’ll give it another season or two.

1 Like

Is a five string fiddle like a combination violin and viola, with brighter violin tones and darker viola tones on the same instrument?

I have played a viola da gamba. Kind of like a guitar with weird floppy adjustable frets (yep, adjustable frets) played with a bow. Much softer tone than a guitar or even a cello. I can see why such an instrument went extinct.

I know what a Hardanger fiddle is, but I’ve never seen one up close. I know it’s a Scandinavian fiddle with sympathetic strings, usually ornately painted. I’ve never heard one, but I’m imagining viola meets 12-string guitar.

For no other reason, here’s “Rolling In The Deep” played on a Stroh fiddle:

https://youtu.be/hmWqoLWGsM0

2 Likes

I once had to deal with some Microsoft nannyware that decided to “correct” my discussion of the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand into something about “buttbuttination”.

8 Likes

I think I’ll pbutt on that software.

4 Likes

Go ahead and dive in to the original “Upstairs, Downstairs”.

THAT is a fantastic show (which many find booooooring)

4 Likes

Personally, I’ll pass thanks. :wink: I do remember it though.

Now for UK shows that seemed interminably slow as a youth, I give you: Crown Court.

(1972 to 1984!)
The first few minutes give you the idea. :wink:
Sucked all the joy out right out of the school holidays.

(And the ‘more well known’ later theme tune.
https://youtu.be/FqNKfgF4uUI )

[Edited to call out to @Missy_Pants, as it’s more accurate than even Better Call Saul. For the UK in the 70s/80s, anyway. ;)]

3 Likes

A violin with one lower string, a fourth I think. Considering what solas can do with a standard fiddle, the idea always gives me the giggles. Shite, considering what seasick Steve does with a one string diddly bow just proves the point, “it’s not the tool, but the craftsman”.

Unfortunately for people like me, it is an expensive game of Pokemon. Gotta collect them all. Pink tenor saxophone selmer mark 6 hanging at the MiM in Arizona? The only one ever? I was fifteen seconds from becoming a felon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seasick Steve is a true craftsman if there ever was one.

There are so many different saxophones out there, many of which are extremely rare, if not rarely used. I tell people there’s a bass sax, they think I mean a baritone sax, but I really mean this monstrosity:

Of course, I use the term monstrosity lovingly:

4 Likes

A Hardanger fiddle’s sympathetic strings have more of a bagpipe effect than a12-string effect:

2 Likes

On the funky fiddlage tangent: Nancy Kerr’s Northumbrian stuff. Simultaneous bowing, pizzicato plucking and singing.

3 Likes

Any show ever where there is a “reveal.”

11 Likes

Every Single Reality TV Show Ever

(Except the first season of Joe Schmo, because that was subversive and awesome)

4 Likes

I do love the unveiling of the secret ingredient on Iron Chef, though.

"Today’s secret ingredient is…

#Dry ligament!"

14 Likes

If you are into outdoors stuff give Survivorman a try. Also if you like dwarfs and chocolate, The Little Chocolatiers.

4 Likes

It really was.

Is it still a reality show if only one person thinks it is? I would consider that a prank instead.

2 Likes

That is a heavily… Truncated timeframe. Try a Googol years.

2 Likes