Kellogg ditching its cereal business heralds the death of sugary wheaty breakfasts

That’s my regular. With blueberries and walnuts. Eggs and bacie on the weekend.

But I imagine things like grape nuts might be fine too.

13 Likes

I hate those flavored and sugared ones. People think I’m weird. I just add water to the oats, and a dash of salt, and cook it. I don’t add sugar, milk, butter, fruit, or anything. I like just plain oatmeal.

15 Likes

Yes, but only if the Nordic/European variety.

4 Likes

The blueberries and walnuts are for the health benefits- but I’ve grown to like them.

My natural inclination was a ton of butter on top. Thanks grandma! Took a while to switch that oat.

6 Likes

Hopefully the cereal companies that they’re releasing as scape-goats, carrying off the debt, will die off and leave room for profitable companies making non-sugar bomb products.

5 Likes

I love blueberries, and I live in New Jersey where they’re everywhere, but I don’t like them in my oatmeal. As a kid, I was bordering on being the kind of picky eater who didn’t like different foods mixed together or having different foods touch on my plate, and I’ve carried some of that into adulthood. Not at a level where it’s a problem, just that I have a few quirks with what I will and won’t eat.

8 Likes

For anyone interested in how this came about, as well as a lesson on how one powerful man can totally f up science (at least for a time) i would recommend reading The Big Fat Surprise, the story of how grains and sugars became “healthy” and fats became death on a plate. Neither of which is anywhere near remotely true.

28 Likes

I don’t know about bacon, but the harms of egg consumption have been long exaggerated and at this point anyone trying to say that they aren’t healthy had better have some good, high-quality studies to back up that claim.

Eggs: Healthy or Risky? A Review of Evidence from High Quality Studies on Hen’s Eggs - PMC.

16 Likes

Steel cut only, please.

5 Likes

Obligatory…

19 Likes

As a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s living in Michigan, a family trip to tour the Kellogg’s factory in Battle Creek (cereal city) was obligatory.

Post wasn’t as exciting because they didn’t have cool mascots but they did have free cereal so we toured their factory the same weekend.

We also toured the Ralston Purina factory. We had exciting family vacations.

They stopped the tours the year after our daughter was born in 1985 so she never got to meet Tony The Tiger.

I’ve been nursing a giant box of Apple Jacks all week and I noticed a box of Fruit Loops in the pantry so that’s next. Fruit Loops on top of vanilla ice cream is the best.

4 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

I always thought the company was named “Kellogg’s,” with the apostrophe s.

3 Likes

It’s Kellogg, but the cereal is Kellogg’s “xxxx” cereal.

13 Likes

I think they’re giving short shrift to the Leprechaun here - he’ll be selling you “Lucky Charms” from behind the bar.

2 Likes

That’s… actually a surprisingly good metric for a lot of things.

And I would love to shop at a DIY barn run by Fred Flintstone; he should have made #1 in that list.

4 Likes

Welcome to Wellville!

8 Likes

Steel cut oats take forever to prepare; I don’t want to plan out my breakfasts for the week.
When I make oatmeal, the recipe ia about 1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries, 1/2 cup thick cut rolled oats and drown in coconut milk (usually the sweetened kind). Microwave on high for 6 minutes. Eat.
It’s either that or 1/2 cup of homemade nut-free granola with coconut milk or with yogurt. I hate factory produced cereals and cookies.

3 Likes

Second cousin to the Bernays who extended set theory to include proper classes, e.g. the class of all sets that don’t contain themselves.

4 Likes