Kelsey Grammer owns a Christian-themed brewery in the Catskills

Originally published at: Kelsey Grammer owns a Christian-themed brewery in the Catskills | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“Free of shame and without apology”

Kelsey…buddy…it’s not you and the other Christians who are up on that cross so maybe quit pretending to be a martyr for a while.

29 Likes

They should be able to keep expenses down by turning water into beer. If it can be done with wine…

19 Likes

This is pretty near to us and I have never once seen these beers anywhere. Those maps are almost certainly their distributor’s coverage areas, not actual retailers carrying them. The reviews seem to be heavily represented by Frasier stans. In other words, it looks like someone is getting paid to do not a whole lot in Margaretville.

7 Likes

Well, skipped through the site, their tavern is closed, though that’s as likely due to inclement weather as anything else. The bit where they went to show off their beer in the first month’s of 2020 reminded me of the beer festival I went to right before Covid arrived in the UK… ow, only two articles since then.

I’ve seen much worse from christians in business, especially US companies.

5 Likes

It seems really unsettling to me that a person who had public struggles with alcoholism and drug abuse would own/sell beer with his name and image. Craft beer usually isn’t associated with abuse as much as hard liquors, but still.

All told, it’s pretty easy to ascribe difficulty in finding the stuff places; the craft beer market is thoroughly saturated. There are dozens of breweries near me, many have just about zero distribution outside of their own building.

9 Likes

Remember his most famous role was a recurring character in a sitcom set in a bar run by a recovering alcoholic.

11 Likes

Right wing breweries are always lame.

4 Likes

Jesus that’s lame.

2 Likes

“Good evening, Delaware County. I’m Kelsey Grammer, and I’m lautering.”

4 Likes

The long grift: specialty of The Best Friends Gang.

3 Likes

:musical_note:…I don’t know what to do with these Christ lagers and IPAs… :musical_note:

6 Likes

Isn’t the brewery named after his daughter? Yes, she has an overtly Christian name, and he’s on record as being Christian, but it seems a stretch to call the brewery Christian-themed. There’s no mention of Christ on the website - maybe he’s playing the long game.

2 Likes

Grifting a bunch of religious suckers? MONEY PLANE.

3 Likes

And she is an American. /s
But you are right, I would expect a “Christian-themed” brewery to be much more explicitly Christian/religious than how this presents.

Frankly, his branding is a little off. He never explains the name FAB, or why we should drink it.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound very Christian to me at all.

Jesus was a vintner, not a brewer.

And as an aside, the whole concept of “Christian themed” things is just so weird. It emphasizes to me how what we define as “Christian” is really just group-think superstition, like how some self-described Christians won’t buy Nikes because it references a pagan god, so they have to make their own Jesus-branded products, lest they invoke the wrath of Yahweh.

[ETA: I gotta say, turning water into wine immediately and magically is a great business model.]

3 Likes

No beer is more “Christian” than Trappist beer:

Unless Kelsey Grammer takes a vow of celibacy and moves to a monastery, I’m not impressed…

28 Likes

Beer is liquid bread, so the Jesus thing tracks for me. But is it free, because that’s what Jesus would do…

9 Likes

I do believe that is the basic premise. No miracle needed.

1 Like

The brand is technically distributed throughout the NYC Metro Area and NJ, I was still working for a distributor in NY when they launched. Thing is they only moved to distribution mid pandemic, and signed with smaller craft distributors what are having issues.

IIRC the product launch was delayed multiple times, at least once cause Grammer picked up COVID.

The beer isn’t good. And both sales staff and many retailers are resistant to pushing a plainly right wing themed beer.

Also the packaging is ugly as fuck.

I’ve seen a lot of their marketing materials and internal sales info. It’s all milk toast, dog whistle and coded language bout America, personal responsibility and values. The branding is all LL Bean rustic. It’s all very carefully glossed over to be less than explicit, but clear to the target market of right wingers.

I dunno that I’d call it “Christian”, that’s in there but it’s more generally Conservative in it’s target. Very much pointed at your golf course and BMW Republicans. It’s very similar to the Tucker Carlson “workshop” photoshoot.

There’s not really any mistaking “Faith American”, regardless of where he claims the name comes from.

Grammer himself is extremely conservative.

Those are Catholics. So they’re Satanists according to the American Evangelical Movement.

14 Likes