Kelsey Grammer owns a Christian-themed brewery in the Catskills

Kelsey Grammer Coffee GIF by PeacockTV

2 Likes

Lots of breweries are monasteries. It’s not like the Belgians have a monopoly on that.

Weltenburg monastery in Bavaria has been continuously brewing beer since 1050. (No, that’s not a typo)

And there are tons of others

Sorry, I don’t know why this is so aggravating to me but it seems the Trappists get all the accolades for something that is common all over Europe. Two of the most well-known German beers are called Benediktiner and Franziskaner for god’s sake.

The Trappist order is incredibly young, too. They only go back to the late 19th century.

4 Likes

One of my favorites, probably for nostalgic reasons.

3 Likes

Oh, I forgot Alpirsbacher!

2 Likes

I had it first when I was 16 and on a Student exchange in Rottweil. I remembered that I really enjoyed it, and it’s name stuck in my head.

I looked for it in the states off and on over the years with no luck.

Over 25 years later I came across a few bottles in a local beer and wine store in Chicago. It was every bit as good as I remembered!

3 Likes

I think there is one point where Jesus might have drunk a bottle of Buckfast.

3 Likes

As someone who was a journeyman brewer, I still think it’s a miracle. But that’s because science is a wondrous miracle for me. No divinity needed.

Yes!
When my grandparents lived in the Black Forest there was always a couple of cases Alpirsbacher in the cellar. One of their neighbours was a driver with the haulage company the brewery used.

2 Likes

I’ve only been to Rottweil once but it is a beautiful little town with a spectacular location.

Plus, they have this bronze statue of a rottweiler in the town square which has a polished snout and ears because everyone can’t resist petting the doggo.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.