Kentucky court clerk jailed until agreeing to do her job or quit it

Electing certain officials sounds like a great idea on paper - grass roots democracy and all that but leads to shitty results in practice. The problems in the US justice system stem in part from electing DAs or senior LEOs (see Arpaio and Plea deals). When you need to staff positions where impartiality is important elections set the wrong incentives.

1 Like

Itā€™s even stricter than that. After Exodus [the second book of the Old Testament] 20:13 gives the commandment ā€œThou shalt not killā€, Leviticus [the third book of the Old Testament] 20:9 sets out the punishment for swearing at your parents:

ā€œFor every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.ā€

How many people reading would have survived their years as a teenager if that law had been strictly followed?

4 Likes

Welcome back!

Yes indeed, there are problems with the US justice system. Pluck that string again.

2 Likes

She took her oath of office to protect the constitution before her god.
Sheā€™s going to hell.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œlamaranagram, post:14, topic:65084, full:trueā€]
I hope she gets to live in a country where what she wants to do is perfectly legal. Just not this one, please.
[/quote]I certainly hope she doesnā€™t. Because that would mean that thereā€™s a horrible country out there that supports this shit in law.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard this a few times now, that Davis is refusing to perform marriages to eventually secure film/book rights (in addition to doing it for her Lourde and Savoir Faire), which serves only to reinforce my thought that religiously-based movies and books are boring as fuck.

Act One, Scene One

[Scene: A quiet office in a small county courthouse. Two people type quietly on their keyboards while a third person prays over a bedazzler. The clerk of the court, a small brunette woman dressed in a t-shirt emblazoned with the slogan ā€œI [heart] Church Boys (2 Cor. 6:14)ā€, is watching two local women approach her desk.]

Clerk: May I, with the help of our almighty Blord and Fathergawd, help you?
Women: Weā€™re ladies who are queer and love the devil and weā€™d like to get a marriage license before we subvert the will and spirit of Jeeeeebus Christmas.
Clerk: By the broken keystone of Ezekiel! Are you gay?
Women: Dude, we said that right before lighting this spliff and pushing over your crappy Holiday tree.
Clerk: YAAAAWWWWEEEEEHHHHHtaminute. Sorry, canā€™t do it. Da-yum you to the crispy blackened Cajun Bowels of HAY-ULLLL!!!

[Camera fades to black.]

FIN

8 Likes

I believe itā€™s already been asked, but does her being in jail prevent anyone else from seeking marriage licences in that county? In other words, is she the sole official capable of performing this action?

Apparently 5 of her deputies will issue licenses.

The one who wonā€™t? Her son.

16 Likes

Wonderfully cogent argument from the Detroit Free Press:

"Religious liberty does not entitle the bearer to line-item vetoes for essential job functions."

11 Likes

sore loser

1 Like

Jesus doesnā€™t actually say you will go to Hell for swearing an oath, but he is pretty clear that it is forbidden. Which is why it is so strange that supposedly Christian countries make this part of the legal system.

2 Likes

Hellā€™s more of an Old Testament thing anyway.

That would never have occurred to me.
(and your post may possibly be a whoosh, Iā€™m not sure.)

The lord enjoys watching FmF threesomes.

1 Like

ā€œIā€™m headed to Kentucky on Tuesday to stand with Kim Davis. We must end the criminalization of Christianity.ā€

• Mike Huckabee, Republican candidate for president and former governor of Arkansas

First they came for the racists, and I spoke outā€”
Because I only needed the old white vote.

Then they came for the misogynists, and I spoke outā€”
Because I only needed the old white male vote.

Then they came for the homophobes, and I spoke outā€”
Because I only needed the old white male Christian-right vote.

Then they came for meā€”and there was no one who bought my miracle-cure books claiming cinnamon rolls as a cure for diabetes left alive to speak for me.

12 Likes

Obviously you havenā€™t heard the ultimate hat trick: Guess who her son is?

The Assistant County Clerk (the person who takes over when she canā€™t do her job).

Iā€™d be happy if the judge started holding summary contempt of court proceedings with the entire department. If you donā€™t want to perform the job fine, thereā€™s the nice bailiffs to take you to jail. Nobody left in the department? Thatā€™s ok, the Federal governmentā€™s court clerks can fill in for your counties lack of intelligence.

11 Likes

The best (or at least most obvious) example of this is the Mormon elders, starting with Joseph Smith, getting a new ā€œrevelationā€ every time they wanted to do something not previously authorized (e.g., marrying multiple, underaged wives).

8 Likes

19 Likes

Not to mention her nude scene with Jack Nicholson in ā€œAbout Schmidt.ā€

1 Like