Kentucky lawmaker freaks over Day of the Dead zombies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/30/kentucky-city-commissioner-fre.html

11 Likes

I’m guessing that Ms. Bugg is one of those who says “Christian” and means “Protestant”; because, statistically, the odds that your latino population is a bunch of witchcrafting satanists are even lower than the (already pretty damn low) odds that anyone else is.

They’ve been having some trouble with various evangelical groups lately; but Latin America is one of the decreasing number of places where the Catholic church is not doing too badly in keeping subscriber numbers out of the red. Doesn’t mean that zOMG latino=papist! but if you are worried about witchcraft you should probably keep an eye on what the “nones”(who I believe now exceed in number any specific religious affiliation, though they are not yet a majority and are especially common in the age groups that aren’t close to dying off) are up to on Halloween.

Also almost certainly nothing of theological concern; but incrementally more likely.

30 Likes

Hey Ms Bugg, as a Human Being…I don’t give a flying fuck about your pearl clutching shit talking self. Go fuck yourself with Satan’s pitchfork.

22 Likes

“I think the only challenge is if they actually try to summons somebody else, you know,”

I guess she is worried that they will act as officers of the court, and present people with a summons. And it’s true, if you ignore a valid summons, you’re asking for some serious stuff.

32 Likes

I guess you could say she Bugged out!

9 Likes

Also, in response to (well-meaning?) internet people who were worried about white people culturally-appropriating Día de los Muertos with ofrendas and sugar skulls, the director of The Book of Life says:

26 Likes

It just goes to show you that racist Xtianist killjoys aren’t always “free”-market fundies. The revenue that could come into the town from a cool Day of the Dead festival might not match that coming in from actual zombies being raised, but it’s probably more than it would see otherwise.

15 Likes

This might be a great spot for a coven of Wiccans to do a Winter Solstice celebration. She would have a true caniption fit if a bunch of ZOMG!! WITCHES!! descended on her town. On the other hand, they would probably be mostly white, so less threatening, maybe?

18 Likes

And Protestant is really a code word for her particular brand of Bugg-fuck evangelical.

23 Likes

Something, something, Jesus rose from the dead, rabble, rabble…

34 Likes

Hey, I grew up eating Jesus’ organs and drinking his blood every Sunday. Bet she has a problem with that too.

37 Likes

I think some folks need to understand the difference between celebrating something vs appropriating something.

Gutierrez is right.

14 Likes

"I think the only challenge is if they actually try to summons somebody else, you know, a loved one from the grave, then I think they’re asking for some serious stuff. As a Christian, I don’t think they can do that.”

I read that wrong, I read it as if she paused for dramatic effect:
“You know, a loved one…FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE! Then, I think they’re asking for some serious stuff…”

4 Likes

Everywhere you look these days it’s nothing but cannibals and zombies.

16 Likes

There’s only one zombie raised from the dead that’s permitted in Kentuckey. And there’s a time limit - three days.

12 Likes

I think we got the next zombie movie right here. :smiling_imp:

Zombies bringing in spices and exorcising mayo and ranch from our kitchens! The horror!

12 Likes

Celebrating zombies is strictly for doing on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. That’s the proper Christian way to celebrate zombies. Then you’re supposed to go kneel and chant before drinking the zombie’s blood and eating its flesh.

19 Likes

I’ve watched Justified…zombies would be an improvement in some parts of the bluegrass state.

15 Likes

Or, she just does not know the tradition and would benefit from finding out about it.

I know nothing about the tradition, Wikipedia tells me that, among other information

The intent is to encourage visits by the souls

2 Likes

People focus on zombies not paying taxes, but they forget about how they stimulate government spending.

9 Likes