Kentucky lawmaker freaks over Day of the Dead zombies

Having grown up in central Ohio, the faux-religious superstitions about how evil Halloween is run deep out there.

Our elementary school banned any costumes or decorations depicting witches, ghosts, skeletons, or any kind of monster. Trick-or-treat night was held a week prior to Halloween (which wasn’t actually on the city calendar), was held before dusk, and renamed Beggar’s Night. All to avoid any possible association with the creepy dark powers of All Hallows’ Eve.

24 Likes

e.g., Catholics.
Strangely obsessed with Mary, they are. Sure sign of witchery, to pray to a women. /s

9 Likes

Wow. That’s some messed-up priorities.

Let’s teach kids to make fun of the poor, instead of monsters. Isn’t that what Jesus would have wanted?

15 Likes

well if they celebrate Halloween like this…I wouldn’t actually blame them.

3 Likes

It seemed weird as a kid to trick-or-treat in broad daylight on like October 26, but even weirder as an adult, looking back at it. They now allow it on the actual date (and after dark) but the questionable name remains.

11 Likes

Commemoratio Omnium Fidelium Defunctorum is November 2nd. See the photo to see a person speaking Latin (sometimes) during that day.

3 Likes

As a Christian, I don’t think they can do that.

As a man of science, I couldn’t agree more Patti!

19 Likes

It’s not making fun of the poor, it’s teaching kids that being a beggar is awesome! Everyone smiles at you and gives you candy!

3 Likes

lucky duckies!

8 Likes

“I think the only challenge is if they actually try to summons somebody else, you know, a loved one from the grave, then I think they’re asking for some serious stuff.”

I guess they aren’t the kind of southern christian who sing songs like this:

4 Likes

The only thing scary and unholy coming out of Kentucky is this mofo:

27 Likes

Last time I was in Kentucky, I saw zombies everywhere.

Or maybe that was meth addicts. It’s hard to tell sometimes.

21 Likes

3 Likes

As a believer in the Laws of Thermodynamics, I know they can’t do that.

13 Likes

:woman_facepalming: Madre de Dios! :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

That’s the experience of driving past Vancouver’s “Hamsterdam” area: one moment you’re looking out the window at pleasant middle-class suburbs, then suddenly it’s several post-apocalyptic blocks out of “The Walking Dead”, then it’s back to the 'burbs.

5 Likes

Wonder if she’s also against CPR and AED’s.

7 Likes

Are they different? huh, you learn something new every day!

4 Likes

And just to make things clear, Gahanna is not out in the boondocks. It’s a suburb of Columbus.

4 Likes

But that’s no reason that everyone shouldn’t know this City Commissioner’s name and hear about her backward views, oh no.

3 Likes