Kentucky lawmaker freaks over Day of the Dead zombies

Fire it up! Fire it up! Fire it up!

2 Likes

I’ve a relative that believes that actual temporary possession caused her husband
to have sex with his parishioners and her daughter to leave her husband.

14 Likes

Demonic fueled orgies?

11 Likes

Well shit, you nailed it so I don’t have to cover what you did.

I do find it supremely ironic some Christians are pearl clutching about illegals, when they are more likely to be fellow Christians, and the bemoaning that Christians are under attack in America. You… you just want to shake these people.

And one other note, from what I have read, there are Catholic orgs who have worked to help southern and central Americans up through Mexico, but they get hassled/shut down by the Mexican government who are cracking down on it on our behest.

7 Likes

what is the difference though? I am not trying to argue, i genuinely want to know.

when is it celebrating and when is it appropriating? where does one draw the line?

2 Likes

When my wife told me the New Testament is a zombie story, it blew my mind.

4 Likes

Part of it, I feel, is simply asking people how they feel about elements of their culture being spread and used outside of their culture, instead of assuming. It’s clear from the responses to that Twitter post that in general, Mexican people love it when other people join in participating Day of the Dead and feel like it’s a celebration of their culture.

18 Likes

I hear there are good people on both sides of the grave.

But as a moron, she’s still concerned and clutching those pearls. I figure by November 1st, she will either be able to breathe easy again, or have had the spirit of whomever she apparently killed rise up and exact its revenge. Either way, I’m good.

8 Likes

As a rule of thumb, it’s appropriating when one uses it to claim to be something one is not (especially an originator of another culture’s work or tradition).

If I incorporate sugar skulls into my Halloween/Dia de Muertos celebrations, I’m neither pretending to be Mexican nor am I denying that it is another culture’s tradition (or mocking that tradition). One can partake and honour without stealing and exploiting.

[also, it’s a bit ironic that the killjoy who tweeted that only Mexicans should do sugar skulls didn’t spell “Catrina” correctly, let alone consider the pre-Columbian and Spanish roots of the Mexican tradition]

12 Likes

Exactly.

@jab its a question of is what you are doing a part of the festivities set out by said culture and are you doing the same thing as those who also celebrate it? Or are you taking it and making it yours, using it or some portion of it in a manner not consistent with its origins.

Perfect example…Native American’s wear headdresses as part of certain cultural moments or activities. Wearing one for costume or in your daily life as a fashion accessory is misappropriation.

If my Jewish friend says Merry Christmas to me in December and I reply to them Happy Hanukkah…neither of us is misappropriating anything. We are both inclusively celebrating each other’s particular cultural observances.

17 Likes

I guess it becomes appropriation when McD’s start doing Day O’ The Dead Burgers, and when the City’s Corporate Sponsored celebration prices out the local Hispanic population.

4 Likes

When you put it that way.

3 Likes

I feel like at an earlier time in our history, someone would have told her to shut up and mind her own business and that would be the end of it. Now it’s national news and we’re all talking about it.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree.

Almost every American holiday tradition is an amalgamate of multiple other cultures, including Halloween, and especially Christmas.

You can’t say “Welcome to America” and promote the wonder of the cultural hodgepodge melting pot of assimilation, and then say - no, these things are only for certain immigrants. Part of what makes America unique (well, not THAT unique if you read about History) is the assimilation of new cultures and new customs into the public consciousness.

When I was a kid, Pinatas were a mythical treat you read about in your school books. Now you can find them Walmart branded with Paw Patrol.

10 Likes

Yeah, I read that thinking, “Well, that’s reasonable - I don’t think they can do that, either. Oh wait, that’s not what she means. And she’s actually worried that they can - and will - do that.”

Though I confess I’m unclear on exactly what she’s worried about. Probably not actual zombies (though it’s very possible she’s dumb enough to believe that…), but some other form of “necromancy” that involves the souls of the dead being spiritually poked and prodded. I wonder how she feels about, e.g. Mormons and their posthumous forced conversions… seems far more disrespectful to dead people, myself.

7 Likes

I would argue that some of the responses of “That’s not yours” is also heavily ingrained as a reactionary response to how some of these people have been treated.

One of the things that is really cool in the new Watchmen series (without spoiling too much about the story they are building) is the “reversal of fortunes” in regards to race. White Christians have taken so much, can you blame someone from any other ethnicity or religion from saying “NO! HANDS OFF”?

1 Like

you’d be surprised. How many people believe the words that come out of Nostradumbasses mouth?

3 Likes

May the spirits of her ancestors inform her and remove this curse of stupidity from her brain.

Baring that, may she join in happiness and peace with them soon…

1 Like

I know there are people who would totally believe some Mexicans would summon up some zombies, but they’re far outnumbered by the number of morons who think some Mexicans would summon up some ghosts. So just statistically…

6 Likes

It’s not hard to talk to someone beyond the grave. Just make sure you go around so you don’t fall in. It would be impolite to shout over the distance though. It’s a graveyard after all.