Ketanji Brown Jackson firmed to Supreme Court by Senate Dems. Three Republicans broke ranks to join them

After Breyer’s announcement, the White House and Senate announced they would proceed with the confirmation process now while the legislative calendar was fairly clear and in advance of the mid term primaries. She will be seated when Breyer officially steps down after their current session closes.

13 Likes

Gorsuch. He’s just a dipweed. He’s evil but not an idiot.

5 Likes

It would bog down the Judiciary committee massively. They have already made it miserable for Biden’s other Federal Court confirmations. The Judiciary is one of the more “prestigious” committees, so it’s packed with some of the biggest bloviating assholes the GQP can scrape off the underside of a rock. Pre-confirming Justices would be like dropping an idiot nuke on DC.

10 Likes

But so what if they can’t agree? Didn’t the Judiciary committee fail to agree on Justice Jackson’s appointment anyway only to be overridden by Schumer?

Is there a down side then?

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to reading her dissents

6 Likes

Such as Clarence Thomas dropping dead.

5 Likes

True, but there was always the possibility that Republicans might insist we hold off on confirming a new Supreme Court judge seeing as how we only have 32 more months left in President Biden’s first term.

25 Likes

Well, they deadlocked on advancing the nomination to the full Senate. The full Senate then voted to advance it out of committee and then voted to confirm. The Judiciary committee basically just interviews her (see also: publicly humiliates and uses as a public whipping post for their childish grievances).

Yes. Biden’s Fed court picks don’t advance to confirmation. trump set a record for judicial appointments and Biden has actually outpaced him last I checked. SCOTUS gets a lot of attention, but many, many more decisions that stand are made at the lower level courts. Having balance at the Federal level is crucial and trump and McConnell did their best to tip the scales as much as they could. A lot of what you are seeing when a state passes regressive legislation that is stayed and then reinstated is coming from GQP appointments in districts where they’ve tipped the balance.

Plus, if Dems did it for one or two noms, the GQP would fast track an avalanche of confirmations. I usually hate that argument because it ignores the fact that they do whatever the fuck they want anyway while the Dems waste their time hand-wringing about decorum and get steamrolled. But in this case it’s not a precedent yet.

Edited for typos.

10 Likes

Such excellent news for the U.S. national political scene - Huzzah!!
(oh and rand_@#$_paul is quickly heading up the vile republican leader-board against some very stiff competition)

2 Likes

We can always hope.

10 Likes

why wouldn’t he want to go out the same way as his hero Scalia

6 Likes

Strange. Is there a tie thief on the loose?

8 Likes

They are signalling their lack of respect for the first Black woman on the SC.

30 Likes

It’s not in the Constitution, but the number of Supreme Court Justices is set by law (the Judiciary Act), not by the executive branch. So to add a Justice would require Congress to amend or replace the Judiciary Act. So if Breyer revoked his resignation, that would cause a bit of a problem.

ETA: Breyer isn’t going to revoke his resignation. It’s a moot question.

8 Likes

It was my understanding that Kamala Harris was the only person with the authority to resolve a tie in the Senate.

12 Likes

Indeed. When I heard that on top of all her other qualifications, she’d served as a public defender, I wondered if I dared to hope. More former defenders on the SC, please. And serious kudos to Justice Breyer for doing the right thing.

15 Likes
10 Likes

Take that, Coral Gables!!

2 Likes

Indeed, they are simply Klan signaling for those who can’t see their “ok” hand signing.

11 Likes

That’s where the coke orgies are at, clearly.

5 Likes