Key ministers quit Boris Johnson's government after yet another scandal and yet another constantly-changing story

Originally published at: Key ministers quit Boris Johnson's government after yet another scandal and yet another constantly-changing story | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Crosspost - containing their resignation letters.

22 Likes

But m’lord! having scandal (after scandal) semi-detached from Boris is a dead-cat feature for Boris. Thereby distracting matters from fully Boris attached scandals. (keepeth fools aplenty at one’s heel that ye may look the better by it)

9 Likes

An interesting Twitter thread on this pack of sociopaths known as the Tories.

19 Likes

Very good thread. This is someone who knows his enemy well. An amoral gaggle of gaggle of aristocrats, ably assisted by their lickspittle toadies. A vile bunch, who conduct class warfare against the rest of humanity simply by existing as they do, with a reflex defence of their power, position and actual privilege.

20 Likes

My favourite summary:

Thatcher’s Tories were selfish and cruel. Major’s were mired in ‮ezaels‬‎ and corruption.
Cameron’s were too posh to understand real life and too lazy to try, and May’s were a flailing, incompetent, squabbling mob.
Somehow, Johnson’s have managed to be all of those things at once.

This was from commentator Russ Jones who produces the inestimable #weekinTory thread that has become an invaluable reference source for all things you missed because you were too stunned by some of the others.

26 Likes

Who are the absolute worst people Boris could replace them with? Because that’s who we’re going to get.

My money is on Gavin Williamson for one of them, and Grant Shapps for the other.

6 Likes

If we’re looking for the worst of the worst, and to really ram the point home about us being led by a bunch of out-of-touch public schoolboys, how about a nice promotion for Jacob Rees-Mogg.

10 Likes

I don’t think he’d take it, especially not the Chancellorship. It’d mean he’d have to do some actual work instead of cosplaying as President of the Board of Indigents in Lord Melbourne’s second administration.

6 Likes

Steve Barclay (who he? — ed.) gets Health.

ETA: looks like it’s between Truss and Zahawi for Chancellor.

Boris wants Truss as Chancellor because it will destroy her instantly. She’s getting a lot of positives from the war in Ukraine right now (as is the Defence Secretary.)

How about Nadine Dorries as Foreign Secretary?

5 Likes

Screaming Homer Simpson GIF

9 Likes

Zahawi won:

2 Likes

“Won” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. :grinning:
I mean, maybe Zahawi figures that he hasn’t pissed Truss off that much and he might be in with a shout of keeping the job if she wins the leadership?

(Also: fun notion - how about Durham Police issue a fine to Starmer on the day Johnson is forced out? That way both parties get to bloodlet simultaneously and it can only go downhill from there…)

6 Likes

The brass of these shitweasels, suddenly pretending to have principles and honour.

7 Likes

16 Likes

If anyone is finding the current state of UK politics too complex, this tweet reduces it to the basics:

15 Likes

Damn! I had my money on the Chancellorship going to Carrie Johnson.

Anyway, chances are Zahawi will be the shortest lived Chancellor in history when the coup against Johnson is completed. Still, expect tax breaks for heating your stables at taxpayer expense.

4 Likes

Not something one would include in their job resume or crow about in an interview.

person 1: “What would you say has brought you success so far?”
person 2: “I keep fools at my heel.”

2 Likes

The American version:

2 Likes