Kids’ mag 'Highlights for Children' condemns Trump policy of separating migrant children from families

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/26/kids-mag-highlights-for-c.html

10 Likes

“Let our children draw strength and inspiration from our collective display of moral courage,” the statement concluded. “They are watching.”

Dam straight, I’m watching too.

28 Likes

Don’t be like Goofus. Be like Gallant.

28 Likes

Highlights for Children. Promoting critical thinking since June 1946.

13 Likes

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-and-obama-are-so-much-like-goofus-and-gallant_b_5a0376bbe4b0204d0c1713e2

28 Likes

This is bad news for Highlights, since there’s no way Trump isn’t going to cancel his subscription.

25 Likes

Gallant says, “Keeping children separated from their families in horrific conditions is unacceptable.”
Goofus says, “You know what? There’s not a lock on the door. Any child is free to leave at any time, but they don’t. You know why? Because they are well taken care of.”

Be like Gallant.

19 Likes

Does anybody other than dentists subscribe? Because the only place that I have ever seen this is in the waiting room of the dentist’s office. I do recall enjoying the find the hidden objects illustration on the last page.

7 Likes

My parents had me subscribed to both Highlights and Scholastic Media’s(?) Book-of-the-Month Club.

10 Likes

Same here. I immediately thought of my doctor’s appointments as a kid when I saw the headlines.

4 Likes

This is going to make a dent in the inevitable Donald J. Trump Presidential Library. It’s pretty much all going to be coloring books now.

11 Likes

The regime’s followers are more Dimwit & Duke fans…

[don’t be like Duke]

3 Likes

Hair Twittler only looks at the pictures, same as his Playboy subscription.

I also have only seen this at dentist and mb doctors offices and then only as a kid.
The Timbertoes were a big influence on me as a budding artist.

And finally, kudos to Highlights Magazine for taking a stand. These are actual concentration camps in America. Just like Germany in the '30s. The death camps didn’t happen until the '40s. AOC is right, hyperbole aside, sometimes saying it loud means you have to hurt some feefees. Fuck any GOPer who isn’t against this shit. Bigly.

iirc the Obama admin had exactly ZERO child deaths at border detention facilities. How many have died at the Trumpcamps? We’re only a half step away from Stephen Miller’s Final Solution… Trumpkins are denying refugees adequate food, water, soap, blankets, decency, dignity, due process. If these were POWs the Geneva Convention violations would be a matter of international law.

5 Likes

Let’s not kid ourselves about the fact that most current GOPers would have looked approvingly on German concentration camps during WWII. Much like the concentration camps for Japanese-Americans on our own soil. Or, excuse me, “internment camps.” We don’t want to offend them with our word choices.

2 Likes

/s

FTFY. I think for something like this, we should not care if an offense is made, or if feelings are hurt. Call them what they are: concentration camps. In the US. Today.

If they were hoping to reach his cold, dark, dead heart I don’t think it will succeed. He’s not much of a reader.

I appreciate them calling it out for what it is though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.