King Charles announces his logo (spoiler: it's not like the one in Children of Men)

Originally published at: King Charles announces his logo (spoiler: it's not like the one in Children of Men) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Hoping they trademark that logo out from under him. Maybe for a new chip flavor.

16 Likes

I wonder how often he has doodled with that logo, revised it, rethought it. Sitting around waiting for mum to pop her clogs. Makes me sad to think about actually.

10 Likes

It looks like the C is giving the R a reach-around.

28 Likes

Great, now we’re both going to the Tower, you for suggesting it and me for laughing.

33 Likes

So will post boxes have C III P O on them?

39 Likes

We can but hope.

10 Likes

I will never unsee that. Thanks.

8 Likes

Speaking of brands, what happens to the Duchy brand of products now? I know it’s cobranded with Waitrose these days, but does it become the Waitrose Kingdom brand now? Or does Willy inherit the company as well?

7 Likes

14 Likes

Related, CBC just did a story about all the 70 years of Royal Warrants that were given to so, so many products. That’s the queen’s “stamp of approval” for all the products she allegedly liked. Those are now invalid and in two years the companies have to remove the marks. Now I guess we will get a new wave of them for whatever Chuck likes? It’s all a bit silly, but apparently it’s a big deal for those businesses and it really drives sales. They are understandably concerned.

Just one of many weird little side effects from a monarch who ruled for almost three entire generations. That length of time causes a lot of things to become viewed as permanent!

15 Likes

It tickled me that Charles’ current warrants are with Jaguar Land Rover, Burberry and Barbour; so predictable.

7 Likes

Unfortunately I also expect to see a lot of Warrants given to woo, like homeopathy and such. He’s quite into anything anti-science.

8 Likes

Indeed. I hope he isn’t in a position to “encourage” the NHS to waste budget on that cobblers.

6 Likes

Head slaps.

I have seen the ER make a million times on UK stamps, and never put 2 and 2 together that it was the mark of the Queen.

5 Likes

tumblr_oqids4AA4B1r698fmo1_540

18 Likes

I understand what the “C” / “E” represent as wells as the “III” / “II” but what does the “R” represent? Royal?

3 Likes

The R represents Rex. Latin for King.

EDIT:

In QE’s case, the R stood for regina.

9 Likes

The monogram is Charles’s personal property and was selected by the monarch from a series of designs prepared by the College of Arms. A Scottish version features the Scottish crown, and was approved by Lord Lyon King of Arms.

(Genuinely intrigued as to what you thought it DID signify.)

The cypher features the King’s initial “C” intertwined with the letter “R” for Rex – Latin for king – with “III” denoting Charles III, with the crown above the letters.

It was Elizabeth Regina and now it’s Charles Rex

ETA I see @anon85524460 already made that last point.

8 Likes