Kleenex will no longer be sold in Canada

Originally published at: Kleenex will no longer be sold in Canada | Boing Boing

6 Likes

'snot fair.

26 Likes

:laughing: :roll_eyes: :laughing:

4 Likes

The Target flop was totally self-inflicted, and just a ridiculous bit of mismanagement. They essentially took Zeller’s, a department store that had recently folded, and reopened it under the Target brand. Same locations, same inventory, same in-house brand name, and nothing that makes Target unique.

14 Likes

I read that in Canada the tissue market leader, Scotties, is the bogeyman that did for Kleenex.
I guess when it comes to multiple, competing tissue brands, the Canadian market is not that absorbent.

22 Likes

And now that Target is gone…

8 Likes

Maybe it’s that old bugbear, the requirement to label the package in both French and English, which seems to absolutely stymie many American brands, although I see labelling in Spanish cropping up more and more in US packaging.

Never mind, I’ll still be able to buy kleenex here, just not Kleenex.

10 Likes

Singly, from the top.

20 Likes

Their main problem seemed to be no inventory! Shelves were always half empty whenever i went in.

7 Likes

Sounds like it’s Galen Weston’s fault. spittting emoji

2 Likes

Kleenex’s “Tournament of Noses” just didn’t pass the sniff test when compared to…

https://www.curling.ca/2023scotties/

6 Likes

“…want you to know how difficult it was for us to end our sales in Canada”

There was nothing difficult about the decision. Your bean counters told you that it would be more profitable to leave Canada behind, so that’s what you did, end story.

14 Likes

Guess that means my Kleenex boxes all the way down here in GA won’t also say, “ultra soft/duex” anymore. :sadpanda:

To be fair, I always wondered why 3-ply was called “duo”.

5 Likes

this seems to be target stores in the us too. at least near where i live. they have their own employees roving the aisles picking things for delivery or pick-up or something, and there always seem to be more employees shopping than customers. it’s a very strange vibe

1 Like

… just imagine when the price of an Atlas robot comes down

2 Likes

And they seemed to assume that merely existing would mean that customers would fall over each other to shop there. Despite the mismanagement and supply issues.

3 Likes

I knew a person who managed at one. One thing about the empty shelves was the rigid adherence to the store plan. This shelf must have this brand pillows and nothing else- even if they have a surplus of a different brand and no stock in the specified brand. Head office always knows best mentality.

4 Likes

I wonder if that’s a Koch brand.

(Also why they have to be beached white, like all the TP brands I’ve ever seen. Wouldn’t unbleached be more environmentally sound?)

2 Likes

They bought up all the Zellers locations, and were burning through immense quantities of money paying for the leases on the empty stores for over a year before they started moving in, and they had horrendous software issues crippling their supply chains, so they literally had no way of stocking the stores until it was much too late. Canadian Business did a riveting story on the debacle.

9 Likes

Not a huge loss, a Kleenex is just a kleenex after-all.

1 Like