Knives made of human feces don't actually work, experiment finds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/23/knives-made-of-human-feces-don.html

3 Likes

Revenge is a dish best served cold, carved by poop knives.

Oh well.

8 Likes

I think I know who’s getting a 2020 Ig Nobel…

18 Likes

I don’t even want to know what prompted the question to be asked in the first place.

4 Likes

They didn’t account for differences in diet.

17 Likes

Off to get set up for A/B testing.

I’ll report back after Thanksgiving.

7 Likes

Thank GOODNESS someone is doing this kind of valuable research!

6 Likes

It’s important to note that feces are also not an appropriate material for a boat paddle, in a situation, for example, in which one finds oneself up shit creek.

20 Likes

Ms. Felicity Beedle needs to include this in her next edition of The World of Poo. Someone got a channel of communication to her?

Also, I am a bit sad none of the researchers is named Samuel.

6 Likes

“Human feces make a shitty knife, scientists say.”

14 Likes

Well if no one else will

These knives are shit!

There. Good day.

4 Likes

Peter Freuchen is disappointed.

2 Likes

And gut flora. My wife makes a perfectly shaped, batlle-ready Russian nuclear sub every 2 days like clockwork and I’m lighting off the fireworks at all hours…I know whose raw materials I’d use on the ice floe

4 Likes

The friction of cutting will melt ice and you get bits of poop in your food. Ewww.

I gotta think this Inuit fellow had other items with him that would have done a better job. Sharpen a bone with a rock, like they actually do.

And another thing - just because an individual from a resourceful peoples comes up with an idea, it shouldn’t always be seen as traditional, spiritual, revered and so on. There’s a reason some get banished from the community.

4 Likes

Let no one tell you the romance has gone out of your relationship.

18 Likes

It could work as a murder weapon. Even a small cut would likely give you a nasty infection.

4 Likes

The kind of person who would try butchering meat with feces would be on the short list.

6 Likes

The inuit story of the shit knife said that the knife was used to butcher a dog to use as raw materials (not food).

After that point one presumes he sharpened bones into rather better knives.

5 Likes

I thought it was going to be the worst kiwami japan video ever.

8 Likes

If accelerated fast enough, they could be reaction mass tho.

3 Likes