Korean plastic surgeon removes towering jars of excised jawbones after fine

What’s the problem here? Aside from potential health code violations? He removes parts of jawbones. People pay to have their jawbones pruned and they can see that he actually performs the service. To me, that’s the pinnacle(s) of “Truth in Advertising.”

I should probably add that, in general, I’m not keen on most cosmetic surgery, but I do feel very strongly about having autonomy over my body and I feel everyone deserves the same. The motivations behind their choices are there own private business, not mine.

I think the whole ruckus started because people are uncomfortable with (a) body parts removed from their packaging (ew! squick!), and more importantly, (b) the fact that people feel so uncomfortable about feeling so uncomfortable in their bodies that they choose to surgically change them.

I do feel sorrow and compassion when I see 14 year old girls and boys who have chosen to surgically alter their bodies because they have been told, and they passionately believe, that they are physically unacceptable as they are. But I don’t think removing a couple of pillars of bone will substantially change the causes of their desires. If anything, the pillars of bone might make clients think twice about having their bodies altered. The pillars of bone* are far removed from the fantasy of the before/after shots so popular in cosmetic surgery offices and media sources.

4 Likes

now I understand why that guy sued his wife when their kids turned out not to look a lot like her…

on an other thought I wonder if the altered faces have the same bone strenth before and after the alterations. Would they break easier in case of an accident or home abuse?

Probably herbal soap made from human fat (fight club)

I saw a lot more there than just people getting their jaws cosmetically hacked. A few had obvious deformities, a couple had very severe underbites, etc.
And of those that apparently did it strictly cosmetically, didn’t see many that stopped at just the jaw - or even eyes. More than a couple of nose jobs and such in there.
And more than a couple digital enhancements that may or may not have ever resulted in a surgery.

The twin towers thingie was still bizarre. Just as weird as, say, a dentist doing the same thing with all the teeth ever extracted.
Must be time for another episode of ‘Oddities’,

I followed the link through to the story at News.com.au, where the general tone of ridicule of those crazy superficial looks-obsessed Koreans was accompanied by links to other “Health Photo stories” of interest to the readers… one to “50 years of Pirelli calender girls” and another to “Angelica Jolie through the years”. And “Want a hot bod?”.

3 Likes

Do dentists still display jars of extracted teeth? They always did when I was a kid, and I don’t see how this is any worse.

It is a misconception that the goal of cosmetic surgery in Asia is to look as western as possible. There is a beauty ideal and double-folded eyelids and big eyes are a part of it, but the notion that it is intended to “look like a westerner” is entirely of western origin.

3 Likes

What, they didn’t construct elaborate mosaics from them? I am disappoint.

And where did the beauty ideal come from? Western media permeated most Asian countries for decades and that did influence their societies. I’ve had Asians complain about it before and one was doing a PhD on the topic.

I am curious if anyone did any scientific studies on the general topic or not.

I´m not saying that Asian beauty ideals have not been influenced by Western ones. What I´m saying is that “they´re all trying to look like us (Westerners)” is an ethnocentric, oversimplified and somewhat belittling statement, since it is a more complex issue than that. Just as Asian beauty ideals are bound to be a mix of traditional ideals and foreign influences, influence is not a one-way street either.

3 Likes

That’s always been attractive in Asia. Big noses, too. If it’s any comfort, it goes both ways.

1 Like

Memento Vanitas.

In some of those images it looks like the surgery was almost called for. Some of those people had chin bone enough for three.

… and now the docs gotta find a new tower of bones to masturbate onto…

1 Like

And I was originally (in part) cracking wise - as I have heard that same complaint from Asians about western ideals being pushed on them. It’s just a human thing - always been there. Not necessarily in favor of ‘Euro’ looks, but cultural and tribal standards have just about always existed. And, been failed by many, many humans along the way.

So, trying to blow all of that human behavior away with mere words is…probably just about as effective as one might expect.No matter where we come from, some people are simply not as attractive to us on the outside - it’s a biological roll of the dice., for all of us .So, we have to look further with those folks, who are less visually appealing. And that’s often more rewarding than judging their outsides anyway. Not that we don’t. Humans do, and that’s that. we get a huge proportion of our information visually, and all the social ideals in the world aren’t going to change that. We use t for many purposes, so we keep on looking. We’re supposed to. I can enjoy looking at The Rock. I might walk right past him to speak to a cool guy in wheelchair…but I can still enjoy looking, and will adopt no shame over it, ether. Dude is just plain pretty visually-speaking.

I did see, in a study done in Israel, as well as a cosmetic dentist I had and a plastic surgeon friend, that there are some ‘universal’ ideals. Those include ratios, more than anything else - general ly, face height-to-width, Nose-to-hairline, nose-to-mouth-to-chin, relative distance of eyes from one another, etc. It wasn’t really too much about specifically ethnic features at all, and more about how they are placed. But a lot of it _did- correlate to ratios seen in human infants - fuller lips, larger eyes, etc. Which…makes sense. We’re biologically set to fall madly in love with human babies. Makes sense that could come into play when looking at adults, too - even though that’s a whole other thing, relationship-wise.

It’s only sad when a human thinks that outer image is all they have to offer.

2 Likes

http://amydunkley.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/blog251.jpg

She was much prettier in the before image, now she looks like an anime drawing of a 5 year old.

2 Likes

There was some asymmetry before, perhaps due to a previous fracture improperly set.

yep, I noticed that,
I hope it wasn’t painful, but I thought it was kind of cute in a quirky way.

I’m always confused by people who make these types of comments, because the resulting profile doesn’t look “white” in any way. I have never met a single white person that looked like the Korean female ideal. At all. They’re clearly altering their faces to look more “childlike,” - making their jaws smaller and removing their epicanthal folds in order to make their eyes appear large and prominent, like children’s are.

1 Like

She’s a bit special when it comes to asians from previous posts. Maybe she’s had a bad experience. I’ll take it back if she disagrees, but that’s my impression.