Kpop stans take '#WhiteoutWednesday' away from the neoNazis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/03/kpop-stans-take-whiteoutwedn.html

20 Likes

Those guys are nailing this asymmetric online info-war recently!

43 Likes

This, after they took down police snitch apps. As @Tamsin_Bailey says, they are nailing it.

27 Likes

For the social media-inept – How does this work?

9 Likes

jello-nazi-punks-fuck-off

34 Likes

By using the hashtag and flooding the stream, it clogs it up, essentially making the hashtag useless. It’s similar to what happened yesterday with Blackout Tuesday, though it was well intentioned.

What I don’t get is the connection with kpop fans. Are they just spamming to disrupt or does the hashtag hold some significance?

15 Likes

I understand the first (after I had it explained to me) in the context of the BLM hashtags and resources, but not the Kpop connection. Anyway three cheers to them for disrupting the scum.

5 Likes

Never been a Kpop fan before today but I absolutely am now!!

10 Likes

13 Likes

Yeah, for that I have no idea. The lulz?

4 Likes

There is no kpop connection. Kpop fans on Twitter are just well known to spam videos under replies/hashtags for various reasons. Some more helpful than others. This is just one of the times we’ve decided to all come together and silence racists :slight_smile:

68 Likes

Well, thanks and welcome to BBS!

25 Likes

Thanks a bunch! :smiley:

27 Likes

Thank you, Kpop fandom!

Welcome aboard!

27 Likes

So it’s like a dam of hashtags, log-jamming a polluted stream of consciousness?

16 Likes

So anyone searching (or following) the whiteout hashtag gets overloaded with kpop videos? Is that right?
I said it before, but congratulations. Oh, and welcome.

23 Likes

Even pranksters have standards.

13 Likes

That’s right. Any racists looking for tweets actually relevant to the hashtag will only come across kpop videos and any attempts to voice opinions will be flooded away the same way, therefore silencing them completely and ruining the entire point of the hashtag

Edit: And thank you for the welcome :slight_smile:

43 Likes

Even pranksters have standards.

It’s more fun that way :wink:

28 Likes

This made my day. Well done!

16 Likes