Kushner, unaccustomed as he is to public speaking

And here I assumed he sounded like Gilbert Gottfried.

4 Likes

So, not modern history (which his degree and several published works are in) or education which he either helped save/ruined utterly depending on your political persuasion?

To be fair I’d completely forgotten he was in charge of transport for a while.

Slightly more on topic, I’m not sure we can say he’s unelectable. I don’t think he’s ever actually stood for office.

I can’t be bothered to argue, too hot, so I’ve deleted the posts.

1 Like

I hear you on the heat. Didn’t mean to start an argument. Sorry if I got on your nerves.

1 Like

How He Pronounces “Emoluments” Will Leave You SPEECHLESS!!!

5 Likes

What I’m more curious about is whether he projects charisma privately. It’s clear he’s not someone used to commanding the public, but your mention of Steve Jobs is apropos here. If Jared’s someone who’s not comfortable in public but projects a sort of sphere of charisma in small groups, he’s someone we’ll be hearing about for a long time. But if he’s kinda mild and milquetoasty in private, too, then it’s clear he only is where he is because of Trump, and he’ll likely fade when Trump does.

6 Likes

“Do you remember that guy who worked for Trump; Ashton Kutcher? I wonder when he will be due for parole?”

5 Likes

His voice is no less impressive than his appearance.
It’s his mind Trump’s paying for.

1 Like

This is actually my biggest concern, that his appearance is so disarming. I keep forgetting how fucking powerful and dangerous this shitweasel is, because every time I see a picture of him, he looks like a shy, skinny kid your mom would tell you to be nice to in kindergarten. He’s the anti-Trump, appearance and countenance-wise, and the critiques of Trump are already so steeped in obsessions with his delivery and style, I’m afraid the critical momentum would seriously slump if that rug were to pulled.

7 Likes

“Jerrroooddd spoke in class todaaaayyyy.”

Also, - who cares? Do we really need more hot air? Isn’t this better than tweeting every feel and butthurt? Trump should take a page from his book and STFU.

4 Likes

Now you have to tell the story of when you sat in front of Steve Jobs

1 Like

I agree with your point broadly - especially when it comes to Kusner’s voice - but covfefe revealed some serious issues. The president makes off the cuff remarks to the entire world with no vetting and no one at the switch if something goes wrong. One day he’s going to tweet America into a nuclear war with North Korea, or into a cold war with China over Taiwan, or who knows what.

I think this is a fair point to a degree. On the other hand, one might say that if a person rose to such a prominent position without good speaking skills, they must be kept around for some other reason, like their intellect or whatnot. I feel like it would be very easy to be on the other side of this argument if it were someone I admired or respected who was a poor public speaker.

Of course Kushner didn’t “rise” to his position. He was appointed to it based on nothing but who he married. I can’t blame you if you are left wondering if (Kushner’s readiness to speak publicly) is to (Kushner being given an important public speech) AS (Kushner’s readiness to deal with middle east conflict) is to (Kushner’s being given the task of dealing with middle east conflict).

I’m just sad that John Oliver’s Gilbert Gottfied joke is now ruined.

7 Likes

I think that is how he got to where he is, by not looking like a threat to the blustering bumblefuck. “Oh, don’t mind me, Dad-In-Law, I’m just an amiable pushover, not at all a threat to you, sir!”

7 Likes

Although, I think it’s safe to say that marrying Ivanka Trump probably was a lot more like a corporate promotion than a Harlequin vignette…this is the “Establish a royal lineage through bluster, gilded name stamping and reality show competitions” family, after all…

1 Like

The only thing that bugs me more than Jared Kushner is “vocal chords.”

1 Like

Only vaguely related, I just saw a comedy bit last night by Michelle Wolf where she was talking about weddings. “Women say they want to be princesses on their weddings. You want to be a princess? Fine, we’ll marry you off to secure an alliance with the French. Your father wishes he had a boy. And your husband will never love you.”

2 Likes

I don’t like the regime in power or Kushner’s politics. I also don’t buy all of this. Kushner’s title is Senior White House Advisor, not “Press Secretary.” Most advisors - and this is seen as a positive characteristic - keep mum in public, letting the person they’re advising say what they think is appropriate to say in public. Otherwise, it can appear that the advisor is running things when their role is to advise. And we know how Trump takes it when it looks like someone’s doing that (check out the Frontline program re his demotion of Bannon).

Trying to cast Kushner as an idiot, or even an ineffective communicator, does us a disservice. He’s negotiating arms deals between the military industrial complex and the human rights violation that is Saudi Arabia. No one but Kushner knows how many (nuclear) dumpster fires have been prevented by his simply advising Trump not to tweet.

2 Likes

A rather weak save, this. Just apologize that you got carried away by the funny voice and forgot for a moment that’s not at all important for an adviser.

Come on, BoingBoing is supposed to be better than the Rupert Murdoch bile.

1 Like

Just popped in to remind people that mentioning his high pitched voice and 8th grade delivery, even when done in an insulting way, is not the ad hominem logical fallacy than some think it is; unless the mention is used to attack or counter an argument or position. Bringing it up independent of any argument is simply observation.

2 Likes

I didn’t call it a logical fallacy, but it is indeed directed “at the man”. That’s a perfectly cromulent usage, it’s where the specific logical fallacy gets its name from.

1 Like