Labradoodle inventor apologizes for creating diseased, crazy monster

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/26/labradoodle-inventor-apologize.html

I understand that this is a serious issue, but this just has to be included:

10 Likes

He should also apologize for not naming it a Poobrador

17 Likes

Also, mandatory Parry Gripp:

4 Likes

Case closed.

I wouldn’t blame him for it, I’d blame incompetent and/or shady breeders.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Right? I mean labradoodles are popular, but I’ve seen PLENTY of pure bred dogs that have very obvious genetic issues because they we overbred with little regard to the suitability of the parents.

My best dogs are all mutts. Mix those genes up, baby!

17 Likes

Looks like a mighty fine labradoodle to me…

1 Like

They can be wonderful, lovable pets. As long as you don’t - pray God don’t - feed them after midnight.

15 Likes

And the B-word is right out.

Well that’s sad to hear. I have known a few labradoodles and they were all fantastic as far as behavior, personality and temperament. I have no idea how they fared as far as far as long term health issues in later life. I always buy mixed breads breeds from shelters but I must say after meeting a few labradoodles was the first time I ever considered (but never acted on) getting a dog from a breeder.

ETA: Thank you @anothernewbbaccount for spell check

1 Like

Labradoodle inventor apologizes for creating diseased, crazy monster

Wha? He invented Trump?

8 Likes

I don’t know about labradoodles, but french bulldogs and pugs are a horrific reflection of the evil in the hearts of men.

They should all be sterilized and let to die out. It’s cruel of us to keep breeding those mutated abominations just so they can be sick and suffer their whole lives because their labored breathing and bulging half-blind eyes are “cute”

9 Likes

I think this lady at work breed them. Or some similar looking dogs. They seem normal to me.

what he’s saying can be pretty much said of any breed once it’s out of the “development” stage.

There are a lot of reputable and conscientious breeders out there, but there are also a metric f-ton of unscrupulous or just plain stupid/not connected to reality ones as well.

My advice? If you’re thinking of buying from a breeder, make friends with a vet and bring them along. Not just to look at the puppies, but at the parents and other dogs on the premises as well. any reputable breeder won’t object to having several of their dogs get a free physical exam, and will be able to answer some questions about the common breed related heritable/congenital issues.

7 Likes

I think it would be somewhat easier to get acceptance for keeping the breeds but changing the race standard to something less extreme and mix in some other, healthier breeds. Same with a breed like flat coated retriever, it’s a wonderful dog, but seriously inbred and suffering from cancer so you need some new blood.

2 Likes

I worked as a veterinary technician for like 20 years. Bulldogs all die of their malformed hearts, after their abdomens fill with fluid. Pugs’ eyeballs just pop out of their fucking heads. Just. Pop. Out.

3 Likes

No, she raises Cobber Dogs.

Aren’t they cute?

4 Likes

Can one really “invent” a thing if its just the result of two dogs getting busy?

4 Likes