New U.S. Department of Health spokesman deletes racist rant from Twitter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/23/new-u-s-department-of-health.html

7 Likes

The best, really the finest people. Believe me.

53 Likes

It’s assholes all the way down :rage:

32 Likes

Not sure this is actually worse than the dog breeder thing, but it’s hard to quantify.

8 Likes

Pissed off? Yes.
Surprised? No.

Okay, promise that will be the last copy/paste of that. I’ll just keep it internal since it’s redundant.

4 Likes

Was the dog breeder also a racist attempting to bury his skeletons once he got the cushy job?

Also, how is “worse” even defined these days? It’s a constant spiral at this point. I’m looking forward to when they finally place a convicted cannibal into the top spot at the FDA.

22 Likes

Without knowing anything about the dog breeder beyond their occupation, it’s possible at least in theory that they could accidentally end up being competent. I mean, the Trump administration has never been good at vetting people so they might let one slip through every now and then.

This guy, though–not a chance.

11 Likes

This swamp will not have to be drained. It will have to be flushed.

14 Likes

if a key part of donaldism is projection

For the Democrat 2020 victory strategy to work, 100,000+ Americans have to die.

There must be a national pandemic tragedy for the Democrats to win. They’re counting on it now.

everything about the administration’s response makes sense now

7 Likes

In general, hard to say, but in this case it’s comparing an awful racist becoming a spokesman vs a very-likely-incompetent being placed in charge of handling a global medical crisis.

5 Likes
13 Likes

Australian labradoodles?

Not solid American cloth coated labradoodles?

15 Likes

I was thinking about this some more; while I get that you’re trying to be optimistic and strictly-speaking this is true, it seems like a dangerous way of thinking about it. The dog breeder was not chosen in a vacuum or as a last resort, he was chosen because he’s a Trump loyalist, which speaks to two things in my mind:

1. He’s still supporting Trump after almost 4 years of this shitshow presidency, making me doubtful about his critical thinking skills, or even of having the supposed “smart businessman sense” to surround himself and defer to actual experts, and
  2. He was was chosen over dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of more-qualified and experienced people for the job. Even if he’s accidentally competent, he’s going to have a ramp-up time to learn whatever specific knowledge this job actually requires, and that lost time is going to cost lives.
17 Likes

“Dog breeder” is probably the closest thing anyone in Trump’s “Council to re-open America” has to a background in science or medicine.

18 Likes

why tf is the word “Australian” in the name at all? and why tf am i expecting logic from these people?

2 Likes

alien-nuke-it-orbit

18 Likes

“He specializes in lab-”

“Say no more, he sounds perfect.”

24 Likes

It’s true. It’s just that it turns out they have a completely different concept of what constitutes “the best.” It’s the finest collection of assholes. The most asshole-ish assholery possible, if you will.

At this point the Venn diagram of Trump loyalists and those who are competent is two circles, separated by some distance. In part, this is because anyone competent is going to be revolted by Trump’s incompetence, but also there are very few actual Trump loyalists on this level (his ignorant idiot followers aren’t even part of the prospective employee pool, for the most part). That means most “loyalists” are actually grifters and incompetents who realized their only path to power was pretending loyalty to Trump.

13 Likes

You know pretty soon, folks are gonna start to think that Trump is a racist.

8 Likes

I recognize that smirk!

I hope it’s not contagious.

22 Likes