Large dog is large

Starts with M… hmmm… I got it!!

8 Likes

When I was little we had a Great DanexMalemute.

All the height of the Dane. All the breadth of the Mal. When I was in trouble I would put myself in the doghouse, because it was nice and roomy, and nobody messed with my best friend.

I still miss Clyde.

14 Likes

Better than Clifford, but harder to find these days:
image https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51CTV9SFSSL.SX373_BO1,204,203,200.jpg
Otto also has adventures with giant vegetables and hills that are actually houses on wheels. Much fun!

4 Likes

My uncle had Great Danes. The one I remember (Raja) was trained to jump up on him, and only him. He thought it was fantastic to look his dog in the eye. And yes, my uncle was 6’2". :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

My exes’ mum had two dogs.

One was a Great Dane / English Mastiff cross. The other was a Chihuahua.

Watching them play-fight was quite a thing.

8 Likes

He’ll be feeding right off the top of the fridge.

5 Likes

Well… not all dogs are countersurfers, or tablesurfers.

Big dogs need lots of training every day when young or they all to soon become hard to live with [us humans, in a building].

Our rescue dog (80ish pounds) surprised us when we found out he was quite the incorrigible countersurfer. We had to put up a gate across the kitchen doorway. No amount of training him out of it would resolve this issue.

Stopping a cat from countersurfing, or counterclimbing, is just a matter of putting out a roll of aluminum foil or packing tape:

4 Likes
1 Like

When the Lab was a pup, he had a countersurfing problem. We eventually cored a bunch of hot dogs and put really hot hotsauce in them and left them on the counter.

It kind of worked a little bit.

What worked really well was putting mouse traps on the counter. He got his tongue caught twice and never countersurfed again.

Environment hazard is the best training.

1 Like

Wow this is new. Thanks!

We did the hot sauce trick (we used sambal oelek) and it did not slow our dog down in the least. Neither did sriracha.

[sigh] True about so many things in life. Broadly applicable!

2 Likes

Once (long ago) while babysitting, I had the pleasure of watching the elegant family cat launch herself gracefully on to the kitchen counter and land in a stick of soft butter. The look of surprise and humiliation was priceless!

9 Likes

Come%20On%20You%20Little%20Horse

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.