Las Vegas mayor offers city as 'control group' to see how many die of COVID-19 without social distancing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/las-vegas-mayor-offers-city-as.html

4 Likes

She seems nice.

41 Likes

And that’s why they call it gambling.

25 Likes

Exactly how is this “we offer” when she hasn’t asked the residents? More like “I’m just going to conduct human experiments without asking for consent, is that ok with y’all? Eh, who cares what you think just get out to the bars and strip clubs. Die for my reelection fund. Hurry up, there are still prime death spots left!”

27 Likes

You’d think Sheldon Adelson has the money for someone a little more natural in their human costume. Never buy your local pols on the cheap!

17 Likes

I watched that interview live and she is definitely the female Donald Trump without the vitriolic persona. She was all over the place, changing ideas midstream. Anderson Cooper was exasperated. The interview went on for a long time and it was the longest train wreck that I ever witnessed.

(Changed wirnessed to witnessed!)

24 Likes

What she meant to say was “my name is Bennett and I ain’t in it”.

I’m not too suprised to hear the mayor of LasVegas has a poor grasp of probability and is not as risk-averse as would be good for her.

16 Likes

There are plenty of control groups around the world where there is no effective social distancing. Indonesia for example.

9 Likes

NZQhi

38 Likes

That’s the problem with “The Wall”.

It’s too far south.

2 Likes

“They better figure it out. That’s their job. That’s not the mayor’s job.”

Echoes Trump’s idea that it’s the states’ job to find ventilators and PPE. “Stop making me do my job! It’s not my job it’s your job!”

14 Likes

“The south” is not the problem. The GOP is the problem. Don’t forget many of the victims here are going to be the working poor, including lots of people of color. If you think they voted for this asshole or would especially now (or didn’t have their vote suppressed because of their race/class), than I don’t know what to tell you, other than pay more attention to what is actually happening in our political landscape and stop blaming the victims of a deeply entrenched rigged system that is fucking it up for the entire country, not just “us backwards hicks”.

39 Likes

Sow as reap; may her bad karma be swift and cruel.

16 Likes

Sounds like a craps shoot to me

2 Likes

It’s a good bet that no one will be complaining about the bedbug infestations at Trump hotels anymore after the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas becomes ground zero for the next wave of Covid-19 deaths.

13 Likes

And those meat processing plants.

10 Likes

Somehow I was hoping that she was proposing this “epic bad idea” as a tabletop exercise to force some discussion as to the how, and the what was needed to be in place to restart the Las Vegas economy.

After watching the video, I still can’t tell if the satire of the dire circumstances were filtered out, or if these are her genuine beliefs.

This is similar to how Dan Quayle attempted to tell jokes, nobody laughed at them because the audience couldn’t tell if he was trying to be funny or was genuinely that stupid.

Edit: Minor formatting.

5 Likes

She’s playing with house money.

It’s what you do when you’re a high roller. Or a high ruler. Not sure which.

5 Likes

5 Likes