Late Stage GOP Fascists Events ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคก (Part 3)

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1625139483120177153?s=20

*edit

Recently, however, Wyoming Republican state Rep. Dan Zwonitzer introduced a bill that would raise the age of marriage to 18, with exceptions for 16 and 17 with parental consent. This is not a strong bill, unlike the one he co-sponsored in 2018 that would have raised the age to 18 with no exceptions. Itโ€™s still very bad, because children under the age of 18 (with exceptions in some states for emancipated minors over 16) cannot be admitted to domestic violence shelters and they cannot file for divorce. Yes, that is correct. They can get married, but they canโ€™t get divorced. Because marriage is a contract and minors under the age of 18 are not allowed to enter into contracts.

Alas, even that weak-ass bill is a bridge too far for his Republican colleagues, who got together to put out a mass email detailing why they wish for the state to remain a safe haven for children of literally any age to get married.

Is it as bad as you think it is? Oh no, itโ€™s much worse โ€” so, so much worse.

25 Likes

But apparently not too young to marry a Republican

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

17 Likes

Most people donโ€™t know thatโ€™s thereโ€™s a special cluster of marriage cells in the brain that mature at 13. /s

Our path forward here is clear. We need to argue that theyโ€™re standing in the way of republican creeps marrying trans children.

16 Likes

internal screaming intensifies.

Eight states, however, have no minimum at all. Those states are California, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. An actual toddler could get married in those states and it would be legal.

i actually had no idea there was no minimum age to marry in so many states :cry:

but then this!?

In 2001 in Tennessee, three 10-year-old girls were married to men 24, 25 and 31. In Alabama, a 14-year-old girl was married to a 74-year-old man

wtf?

22 Likes

tom cruise projector GIF

13 Likes

A bad place to be any kind of girl.

13 Likes

Rick Scott, just staying on message.

Al Franken trendspotted it years ago:

franken_book_lieslyingliars

19 Likes

Another GOP member concerned about what other lawmakers are wearing :roll_eyes::

18 Likes
25 Likes

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Stanley has been beating this drum for years now, and I wish people would listen to an expert on authoritarianism/fascism. He knows what heโ€™s talking aboutโ€ฆ

18 Likes

A nice thing about how I collect and index articles, is when I find pools where good stuff has been collecting.

12 Likes

19 Likes

โ€œ In the United States the right to petition is enumerated in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which specifically prohibits Congress from abridging โ€œthe right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievancesโ€.โ€

17 Likes

Hatewatch: This one comes by request from my colleague Hannah Gais, who is particularly interested in The Daily Caller. So, what do you make of the white nationalists and other racists who have been exposed as working in proximity with Tucker Carlson? Neff, but also the people who have been exposed who worked at the publication he founded.

Stanley: I think Carlson is as likely as anyone in the United States to be a future president. And I think that he is very smart and extremely dangerous and is a white nationalist. And, as many people have said on Twitter, I donโ€™t even get this, โ€œOh my God the writer of Tucker Carlson has been [discovered to have said racist things].โ€ I mean, just watch the show! He talks about immigrants and dirt. Thatโ€™s what the Nazis said about Jews. โ€˜Theyโ€™re dirty, theyโ€™re filthy, theyโ€™re diseased.โ€™ Thatโ€™s fascism.

My soul wants to shrivel up and die at the mere thought of President Hungry Man.

15 Likes

Is that part of the Second Amendment? No? Well, then.

QED

12 Likes

I wondered, โ€œwhich county.โ€ Oddly enough, I can find plenty of websites that make this claim, but no actual source, no names connected, no county mentioned, etc etc. An article in The Sun repeats it with the claim โ€œaccording to official state statistics.โ€ Iโ€™m not even sure where to start with that.

The claim sure does get repeated in a lot of places, though. The Wikipedia article links to a newspaper article that repeats the same generic claim.

An al.com article sources it to:

โ€œA 14 year old girl married a 74 year old man, according to the Frontline data.โ€

The Frontline article (written in 2017) makes the claim, but gives no source.

By 2017, many places had already been making the claim, also without giving a source. Frontline also has a teeny-tiny retraction โ€œDue to errors in data provided to FRONTLINE by the Tennessee Department of Health, an earlier version of this story erroneously reported that children as young as 10, 11 and 12 were married in Tennessee between 2000 and 2015.โ€

That claim morphed into โ€œthree 10 year old girlsโ€ on their Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/frontlinepbs/status/882989964694310914

So they retracted the error on their web page, but not the compound error on their twitter feed. That compound error is now canon.

Anyway, Iโ€™m obviously not saying that this disgusting practice isnโ€™t an ongoing problem. I just started down a rabbit hole in trying to figure out which county in my state allowed a 14 year old to marry a 74 year old, and when it happened.

16 Likes

One would think that the state office handling marriage licenses / registrations would respond to reports like that. That lack of source in the reports is really sloppy, but not responding isnโ€™t good either. If that office has a contact form, maybe you could share those links with them - itโ€™s possible nobody working there has seen it.

14 Likes

Youโ€™d expect better from Frontline!

9 Likes
19 Likes

Germanyโ€™s teaching of its Nazi past creates clear anguish and guilt in German children (and perhaps for this reason, Germany is the worldโ€™s most stable liberal democracy).

Iโ€™ve been making exactly this point for a while: as a German I was brought up to feel guilty about our past. Heck, I actually started crying on Holocaust Remembrance Day a few weeks ago when I read a survivorโ€™s account in the local newspaper at breakfast. Thereโ€™s your anguish right there. (And I donโ€™t easily cry, for context)

But thatโ€™s a good thing: it makes me aware of what happened and of what can happen again if we arenโ€™t vigilant. As long as it is taught correctly, children can very well differentiate between the actions of their ancestors and their own.

26 Likes