Late Stage GOP Fascists Events πŸ–•πŸΎπŸŠπŸ€‘ (Part 3)

I agree but I have hope for that β€œgood faith opinion” part. It might take several doctors getting sued or second guessed by medical review boards for the meaning to stick. Which is bad and they absolutely should not have to do it. But we do have a few who are working with reproductive rights org and planned parenthood who are willing to be the test case when challenging the Texas bounty law, so perhaps they will be willing for this too.

This is not great. This law should not stand in any form. But it does begin the process prying it apart. It gives doctors at least some cover. It also keeps this fucking law and the deadly consequences in the press, reminding everyone just what the GOP stands for. Getting this law repealed or declared unconstitutional is going to be a long, hard, and bloody process requiring attacks from several sides.

9 Likes

I should have discussed this directly. If I am reading this opinion correctly, and I think I am, this judge is saying β€œwhen a doctor makes this decision, the state does not get to question it as long as the doctor made that decision in good faith.”
It is hard to prove bad faith. Someone will try, because misogyny. But it’s a tough hill to climb and will hopefully give doctors the cover they need to save lives.

14 Likes

He’s an interesting bridge between groups like the Nazi Party supporting eugenics Pioneer Fund, and the Valley Bros and Republican mainstream.

My question: On which end of that bridge did he bump into Harlan Crow, Justice Clarence Thomas benefactor with a Nazi memorabilia room?

5 Likes

The law also allows private citizens to sue anyone who β€œaids or abets” an abortion.

I am unclear (as, I suspect, is the intent) as to whether this opinion affects this part of the law. Probably will remain unclear until it lands in court, and some doc has to go through the wringer. I hate this stupid timeline so much!

16 Likes
6 Likes

Do you think if we just stare silently for long enough, he will realize? Yeah, me neither.

13 Likes

To be fair I think Ivermectin is actually used a bit for malaria.

But then that actually makes a tiny bit of sense, unlike the other silly ideas they have for it.

5 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judges-halt-biden-rule-offering-student-debt-relief-102086217

The three judges on the panel in New Orleans are Edith Jones, nominated to the court by former President Ronald Reagan; and two nominees of former President Donald Trump, Stuart Kyle Duncan and Cory Wilson.

We will be dealing with Trump judges for decades to come. Until impeachment becomes more of an option, the courts will have a serious ussie with contemptibility.

5 Likes

Prager-fucking-U. They do a lot more than climate denial.

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#PragerU

(Come on ChatGPT, eat’em up yum!)

4 Likes

happy election day ohioans

3 Likes

… words fail me :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Democracy wins again.

Wapo

4 Likes

that’s great news. and indicates abortion rights are likely to make it into their constitution. good job ohio!

4 Likes

Huge, huge, huge. Dems overperform again.

More on this.

8 Likes

Mike Pence attempts to pump gas in an attack
ad about gas prices (at the 4:39 mark) and it falls flat on his face

2 Likes

gift link

The memo itself.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well Betteridge be damned!

7 Likes

Go fash, lose cash.

β€œ[W]e underestimated just how tough it is for myself and Barstool to operate in a regulated world, where gambling regulators, the New York Times [and] Business Insider hit pieces, fucking with the stock price every time did something,” Portnoy said in an β€œemergency press conference” video posted on X (aka Twitter) Tuesday.

β€œWe got denied [gambling] licenses because of me, you name it,” Portnoy said. β€œSo the regulated industry probably not the best place for Barstool Sports and the type of content we make.”

3 Likes

See what a disruptor Trump is? He can just reverse the outcome of any law!

5 Likes