Late Stage GOP Fascists Events ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคก (Part 3)

As much as fighting book bans is about fighting censorship, itโ€™s also about confronting and demobilizing those who are driving that censorship and the attendant instability left in their wake. Because they are not just coming for the books; they are coming for the library and the people and ideas that make libraries possible. The work of library defense right now is unapologetically queer.

8 Likes

Like so many of us, I doubt any librarian started their career planning to be on the frontlines of a culture war, especially one that seems likely to get much, much hotter. But here we are. Teachers, librarians, doctors, nurses, so many others. We used to be well thought of and viewed as necessary for the normal functioning of society. Now there is a dangerous, violent subgroup that sees us as enemies and criminals. And it is going to get worse as the rhetoric around onrushing elections heats up. All I can say is try to be safe and maintain your dignity. And

Rock On!!

11 Likes
13 Likes

A majority of women deem it a red flag if partners listen to the Joe Rogan Experience according to latest study.

Gee, ya think?

15 Likes
7 Likes
1 Like

it feels like thereโ€™s some nuance there.

The Null brothers and Molitor were the last of the 14 to stand trial; nine other men who had connections to the plan were previously convicted.

The [brothers] admitted they attended gun drills and took rides to check Whitmerโ€™s property. William Null said he and his brother broke away when talk turned to getting explosives.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I hesitate to make a joke about this because the very real implications of the kidnapping (and letโ€™s cut to the chase; also murder) plot. But given that the primary nine domestic terrorists have been convicted, I could see a Coen Brothers movie adaptation:

โ€œIโ€™d like to welcome the Null brothers and Eric to the group. Everybody give them a warm welcome! So, do you guys have any questions about the plan?โ€

Bill: โ€œYes. You mentioned explosives? Who is the explosive expert on the team?โ€

โ€œGreat question!โ€ Points โ€œOlโ€™ Lefty Four Fingers is in charge of demolitions.โ€

Lefty waves.

Bill, Mike, and Eric: โ€Weโ€™re out.โ€

7 Likes

Hey, Gen Z! Go digging in the attic or wherever and pull out all the old photos of your parents 70s clothing. I betcha youโ€™ll spot rainbows in under 5 minutes.

6 Likes

Remember when conservatives were saying that all LGBT people, drag queens and Hollywood elites are sex obsessed monsters? Good times

8 Likes

https://archive.ph/WF5B9

2 Likes

To be sure, some of us did. And library school does have a way of radicalizing people (once you learn about scholarly journal prices, thereโ€™s usually no going back).

But to your point, given that we have to engage in culture wars at all, the people who go to the frontlines should at least have a choice in the matter. But isnโ€™t it exactly the strategy of the people who start culture wars to prey on the vulnerableโ€ฆ

7 Likes

panda table flip GIF

Right!?!

Letโ€™s get this straight:
The research is publicly-funded.
The researchers pay to publish in your journal.
The peer reviewers are volunteers.
Then you charge publicly-funded institutions and other researchers to access the articles?

Leeches look upon you with disdain, Elsevier!

13 Likes

:poop:

At least thereโ€™s some good news in that article

While Paxton is back in power, his troubles arenโ€™t over. Next month, heโ€™ll finally go to trial on the state securities fraud charges for which he was indicted nearly a decade ago. Then, thereโ€™s the federal investigation into him for the very same allegations that brought his impeachment.

11 Likes

https://archive.ph/8shGL

1 Like

Gotta keep the white ones hatin on the darker ones.

:angry:

3 Likes

:fire:

Lotta Texansโ€“or at least those of us in Austinโ€“are not shocked, but weโ€™re angry.

7 Likes