Late Stage GOP Fascists Events πŸ–•πŸΎπŸŠπŸ€‘ (Part 3)

11 Likes

β€œEvery Democrat who fights to end the filibuster is fighting for their own future irrelevance, or rather for the acceleration of their own irrelevance.”

hrm… or they could end the filibuster: push through making dc a state ( and give puerto rico that chance too ), expand the court and impose term limits, pass the voting rights bill, even – as some have suggested – expand the house of representatives to bring it back inline with the constitution and improve electoral college representation.

it’s not like the republicans won’t end the filibuster if they gain the presidency and senate again. so democrats should use the limited time they have left to… you know… protect democracy and avoid the civil war that some pundits seem to be spoiling for

[eta]
actually, the more i think about that opinion piece the more wrong in it i see

β€œan emboldened and violent right against a demoralized and disorganized left, is not as one-sided as it looks at first. It is unequal but it is also highly asymmetrical. The right has the weaponry and an electoral system weighted overwhelmingly in its favor. The left has money and tech.”

it’s right wing oligarchy and the use of money and tech that has helped bring us here. many of the problems in america stem from the hold capital has on our institutions. moneyed interests are using white supremacy and violence as a tool to hold power. to leave that out of an analysis is to misunderstand and contribute to the problem.

and while he calls the left disorganized, it’s his own thinking that seems disorganized because he also says:

One way of looking at the American political condition of the moment is that the leftwing part of the US has built the networks that have left behind the rightwing part. The networks are the left’s strength.

building networks is the very core of organization. yes, the right has focused on subverting our institutions. yes, the democrats have failed to counter that well. but the democrats are not the left. they are – at best – the center.

it’s also interesting to think that if the left had taken up arms on jan 6th, β– β– β– β– β–  would have called it a national emergency and quite possibly have held on to power.

our institutions do still matter. to me it feels time to take them back, not time to abandon them altogether.

8 Likes

it seems so simple, does it not?
yes, yes and hell to the yes again! do all of those things while there is still some time before the fascist takeover. while there is still some semblance of hope.
why can’t it come about? Manchinema - bought and paid for to do exactly as they do - block the progressive attempt to right the ship. however, i fear that they are only the obvious front to what (seems to me) is a concerted stand by many β€œcentrist” (read coporate sock puppet) Dems to help usher in oligarchical fascist authoritarianism and…?
profit!

12 Likes

The Republican Supreme Court just blew Stare Decisis out of the water, so that’s a safe bet.

6 Likes

you said it way better than i did in my eta. and way better than the author of the guardian piece.

i think there’s a slim hope that the fall elections could change things for the better. that said, i really hope something – maybe all the people out there protesting right now – gets through to biden and the dem senators that they shouldn’t wait that long.

10 Likes
12 Likes
6 Likes

Is there any chance that a (hopefully significant) portion of this can be attributed to people switching registration to oust extremist GOP candidates, like what’s happening in Bobo and MTG’s districts? One can only hope.

12 Likes

If they’re talking about during primaries, at least in my state, we have open primaries, so many people who normally vote Democratic, voted republican against Trumpist candidates. It’s thought to have given Raffensperger a large enough margin to avoid a run-off.

I have no idea about other states, though.

14 Likes

Also this polling was done before the supreme court did the supreme fuckups this past few weeks.

But the warnings still need to be heeded

9 Likes

That example of a registered Libertarian switching to the GOP and the anti-Biden suggestions make me take this with an entire box of salt. I’m not surprised, though. Most of the MSM stories in the past few days have been bending over backwards so far to push the message that many in the US are happy about the SCOTUS decision, it’s like they’re dancing the limbo.

11 Likes

Next up on the court’s docket, legalizing first cousin marriages in all 50 states

11 Likes

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

11 Likes

Rudy was ahead of his time.

8 Likes
14 Likes

13 Likes

Dudes in Proud Boy drag brandishing firearms in front of children object to folks in drag reading to children as knowledge is a greater risk to kids?

15 Likes

It’s a greater risk to something, alright. Something they value far more than kids.

12 Likes

And their drag is so fucking drab.

13 Likes

Ugh not this shit again:

11 Likes