Late Stage GOP Fascists Events 🖕🏾🍊🤡 (Part 4)

18 Likes
9 Likes

I’m more than a little annoyed by that chart in the middle of the article that they claim Trump’s strategists are wild about:

I’m only a little over 40 myself, and have never married, not do I ever plan to. That is not the same thing as being an incel. The article treats them as completely interchangeable.

17 Likes
9 Likes

But though board members could cite no statutory reasons for banning Harusono’s book, they agreed on pulling it.

Board Chair Megan Wright
said the relationship between two male characters wasn’t the reason for the book’s removal as she supported banning it, calling it "inappropriate.”

“This book … focuses on nothing other than a relationship. It’s inappropriate,” she said, adding that she disliked the fact that the book had to be read from back to front and right to left — the traditional form of writing in Japanese.

“When you start reading a book, which we’ve been teaching our kids from day one, you start (at) the beginning, and you read from left to right, bottom to top,” she said. “Not that book, you don’t.”

In the original complaint and throughout the review process, concerns about the two main characters’ relationship and its so-called influence on students were repeatedly raised.

12 Likes

Maybe it’s a good idea to expose kids to the idea that not all writing goes left to right? (Japanese systems, Hebrew, Arabic, and I’m embarrassed to not know how many others.)

Comics in every language have their own conventions, short-hand, and not just flow directions. That’s what makes them interesting and tells you to pay attention because you’re not in $StandardPlace anymore.

you start (at) the beginning, and you read from left to right, bottom to top,” she said.

Bottom to top? :thinking:

5 Likes

Any text that doesn’t force children to move to the right is anathema to everything these people hold dear.

11 Likes

Manga released to the west used the Japanese reading order for decades because trying to release it in a mirrored western order didn’t work and the same thing happens with western comic books/graphic novels released in Japan staying in the western reading order. Context and artistic style gets mixed up when mirroring happens.

8 Likes
15 Likes

FuckThatGuy

He should convert to Christianity.

13 Likes

And it really isn’t a big deal! My kid was 5 when we read her first manga together. Had no problems following the movement after a bit of practice. No impact on reading other books or graphic novels. I have to refresh my memory on how it goes more than my kid does!

11 Likes

More background on the DeSantis attempt was posted here. However, the part that makes my blood boil (like when some folks express more outrage at abuse of animals than they do about crimes committed against people) was this:

In the end, it wasn’t culture war feuding over restricting LGBTQ+ rights, thwarting Black voters or vilifying immigrants that finally broke Republicans’ DeSantis fever in Florida.

Nor was it his rightwing takeover of higher education, the banning of books from school libraries, his restriction of drag shows, or passive assent of neo-Nazis parading outside Disney World waving flags bearing the extremist governor’s name that caused them to finally stand up to him.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

15 Likes

This is just bullshit. Rfk jr withdrew too late. 1.7 million NC ballots already printed and the absentee ballots are required to be sent out starting September 6, less than 2 weeks after RFK jr tried to withdraw from the ballot. The 3 Democrats on the board voted he couldn’t withdraw, too late. The 2 Republicans voted he could, and nevermind the hundreds of thousands to reprint the ballots. Oh, and they could just “delay” the statutory deadline for the absentee ballots. Just delay the deadline required by law! As if that wouldn’t be illegal.
Rfk jr waited too long to make his deal with the orange devil. If he wanted off the NC ballot, he should have done his research and withdrew in a timely manner

14 Likes

just more evidence that the goal is sowing chaos…

13 Likes

fwiw, modern japanese writing (mainly) goes left to right, it’s only the panels that go right to left. but yeah, i can’t believe someone is worried about kids learning that not all books and writing systems are the same.

( i guess our books are backwards in a way. because they start closed on your right, and you open pages to the left. :thinking: )

eta:

hey now. we shouldn’t challenge children to learn new things. they have more important things to do like… umm… learning.

7 Likes

So some people will vote for the wormy weirdo instead of the orange one?

I guess I’m missing how that’s a problem?

5 Likes

I have bad news for her about Aramaic and Hebrew

6 Likes

Some well expected followup to Marty O’Donnell who got fired from Bungie and was running for congress on the GOP ticket since all of Bungie’s ghosts about sex pests are being exercised.

Much of this can be sourced from within a twitter thread made by Forbes writer Paul Tassi.

(Edit: Oh, he’s not running since he only got fourth place in the GOP primary. Still none the less I had to include the followup)

10 Likes

Conservatives: ‘Social media is corrupting the youth, radicalizing them against traditional american and family values’

Also conservatives: ‘Let’s get Trump to stack the Texas federal courts to make judge shopping incredibly easy’

Social media companies: ‘Hehehehe’

Conservatives:

10 Likes

10 Likes