Lauren Boebert's delivers a self-serving Bible lesson to defend her bad behavior (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/15/lauren-boeberts-delivers-a-self-serving-bible-lesson-to-defend-her-bad-behavior-video.html

8 Likes

No longer satisfied trying to start a literal war between Republicans and Democrats, now she’s trying to reignite the centuries-long conflict between Catholics and Protestants.

Anyway: if God only cares what is in our hearts rather than our actions, then why don’t you just stay home and contemplate your faith instead of trying to control what the rest of us do?

22 Likes

James 2:14-26

New King James Version

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without [a]your works, and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made [d]perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was [e]accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

You’re dead to Him, Lauren.

30 Likes
8 Likes

This is great news - according to the Bible, I can do anything I want to without incurring God’s wrath, but as long as I have faith (I’m assuming they mean faith in God?) I don’t displease Him.

I have total faith in God! Now excuse me why I vent my wrath and indulge my cruelty on the helpless.

8 Likes

I look forward to hearing nothing about her for months on end in the near future.

I know many congresscritters are bad, but ever since the Tea Party began it’s climb, there’s just been so many horrible ones in the public eye.

14 Likes

what is she babbling about??

2 Likes

“Vote for me or else you’ll make God mad.”

That’s a good chunk of all she ever says.

8 Likes

Imho you don’t even need to get into the ages-old faith vs. works debate. The real issue here is her complete hypocrisy: that was the one thing above all that Christ condemned the Pharisees for.

Matt. 15: 8-9 is pretty applicable here, where Christ is paraphrasing Isaiah 29:13

This people honors me with their lips
but their hearts are far from me

12 Likes

Even Satan can quote scripture to suit his purposes…

3 Likes

Enough of that casual misogyny, already.

Boebert is a terrible representative, and seems like a generally awful excuse for a human being; that doesn’t make slut shaming her ‘okay.’

I don’t care where she goes or what she does after her “career” in politics is over, as long as she can’t do any more damage than she’s already done.

26 Likes

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

Right?!?

15 Likes

Well, it’s certainly not her works that please Him!

And you left out James 2:14-17

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[a] is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

I bring this up whenever the “tots and pears” quotes start up.

@MagicFox

15 Likes

I keep thinking about how some see God as this director of events that will personally intervene in the world for “his” people… and then I think about all the people, who, acting on lines such as that, who go out and DO work in the world to improve shit… I think about my grandfather spending the last years of his life going to the local prison to help minister to the Catholic prisoners, or the church down the road from me which started a food bank during the pandemic and has continued on with it.

16 Likes

No, I didn’t. The “joke” has been made many times, and has gotten at least one person in trouble, as it should have. So not only are you slut shaming and being sexist, you’re not even original.

17 Likes

I’m getting strong notes of the old notion of “The Justified and the Damned”. (Omnipotent god → powerless humans → your actions can have no effect on God’s Plan → you are predestined for either Heaven or Hell, earthly actions be (ahem) damned)

There’s a wonderful, short and quite innovative novel called The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner: Written by Himself: With a detail of curious traditionary facts and other evidence by the editor by James Hogg from the early 19thC that ponders the notion quite nicely.

2 Likes

I’ve known ‘true believers’ who actually ‘walk the talk,’ but it sure as hell ain’t the vast majority, in my personal experience.

Thumpers who only ‘talked the talked’ in public were a huge part of the reason I left the church I used to attend and never looked back.

Hypocrites, opportunists and bullies can all kick rocks with no socks.

15 Likes

Emma Stone Burn GIF by PeacockTV

12 Likes

Agreed!

Hell Yeah Gets Excited High Kick GIF

8 Likes