Lawyers helped daughter with tooth-fairy affidavit for lost tooth

[Permalink]

I’m not sure, but I don’t think lawyers can notarize their own clients’ signatures. Mine always sends me to someone else, for whatever reason.

Everyone knows that the tooth fairy uses a sophisticated radar system to locate missing teeth. At least my daughter does. That is why occasionally she might forget to reimburse - that darn technology, it's never working when you need it to!

Well, Mr. McWinters was acting in his capacity as a notary public, certifying the affidavit of the tooth being lost, not as a lawyer representing a client. Technically speaking he was also the legal guardian, so something of a grey area there. Probably need a ruling in Tooth Court to substantiate, but that's a lot of work for 25 cents.

The good news is the child did get a shiny new dollar coin despite the missing tooth.

The bad news is her lawyers' contingency fee was 40%.

I don't see his simultaneous status as a legal guardian as creating any problem or conflict.
Illinois notary regulations do prevent him from notarizing a document in which he's a party to the transaction.
However, Emily's affidavit explicitly states its purpose as inducing the tooth fairy to compensate Emily for her loss. Mr. Winters is in the clear, notarily-wise.

Good, glad that's been settled satisfactorily. Sure, it may seem petty now, but those payment processors in Fairy World make the IRS look like kindergarteners counting on their fingers.

What dollar coin would an American kid get in 1989? I guess the Loonie was out then, but that was only worth about 80 cents US at the time.

Plenty of options, by 1989 there were Eisenhower dollars (stopped minting in 1978), Susan B Anthony Dollars (stopped minting in 1981) and American Silver Eagles (started in 1986, still minting today!), all with a $1 face value. I got a number of Susan B Anthony's myself as a kid in the 80s. That may well be the only thing they were used for. My amazing coin knowledge via Google and Wikipedia.

Don't forget the Sacagawea ones!

Sacagawea coins didn't start minting until 2000, so a 1989 kid wouldn't have had one without a time machine. In which case, seems a poor use of a time machine.

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/npr/137394348/1-billion-that-nobody-wants

Good point! I remember switching over from Susan B. coins to Sacagawea coins for my second child, but didn't remember why that was possible.

Wow. I am not sure what to say beyond that (but I had to type more to make Discourse happy).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.