Laxatives for ladies

TIL   

4 Likes

The Unisom I’ve seen is diphenhydramine hci.

4 Likes

Oh man. Inner abs. They’re in there somewhere!

9 Likes

We all have inner abs… somewhere…

7 Likes
10 Likes
2 Likes

Of the many ways to overpay for ibuprofen, this is the most amusingly named:

7 Likes

I did pick up some manly-gendered skin moisturizer once. Dark blue bottle.

1 Like

Nah, I thought the same thing at first because of the way the plastic crosses the number on the bottom of the box, but there’s a larger tablet count on the graphic that says they both have 25 tablets.

A search for these on Target’s website is only turning up the non-women’s version for me:

I’m curious if the pills these are based on – “Dulcokax®” and “Dulcolax® Pink®” – have the same price shenanigans…

On Amazon a box of 25 Dulcolax are $4.98, and 25 Dulcolax Pink are $5.69 (apparently marked down from $9.99). So maybe?

RiteAid has the non-pink version for $8.99, and the pink version for the same price, BUT you get a bonus 5 tablets, bringing the count to 30 instead of 25. It’s still too expensive though.

WalMart: Dulcolax 25ct = $4.98. Dulcolax Pink 25ct = $4.98.

Walgreens website was giving me an error when I tried searching it, so I couldn’t check there.

The “actual size” on the boxes also makes it look like the pill for the woman’s version is larger as well. Is that due to the extra coating?

5 Likes

Both are 1st generation antihistamines with both central and peripheral activity. Not identical but not significantly different.

7 Likes

So it’s not empowering, but it’s still empoopening, right?

5 Likes

I would conceivably try the pink pill at a higher price for a “comfort coated” BM.

1 Like

man, they were just one pass away from a marketably edgy name…

https://www.feminasty.com/

1 Like

Last time I went to the hospital, I learned that ranitidine (Zantac) is also an antihistamine that works well alongside Benadryl. Needless to say, it is now part of my emergency kit.

4 Likes

you can take my Marvis when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

/mmmmm jasmin mint

2 Likes

Yeah, H1 receptor blocker (Benedryl) vs. H2 receptor blocker (Ranitidine) are nicely complementary if you are treating hives or other acute allergic reactions. More histamine receptors blocked, more effective relief of symptoms. Pharmacology is actually a fascinating and really intricate science, with lots of crossovers.

13 Likes

In desperation once, when there was nothing else, I used a women’s laxative.

I… I kind of… liked it.

10 Likes

That’s interesting. For many years Unisom was just diphenhydramine. Looks like they’re using a different 1st gen antihistamine now.

1 Like

That antidepressant story is actually for trazadone. Which is used as a prescription sleep aid, but was originally developed as an antidepressant (maginal value as an antidepressant. Fairly strong sleepiness)

2 Likes

To be fair generics aren’t always exactly the same. They can have different inactive ingredients - things like propellants for inhalers, dyes or coatings for pills, or other material differences that are worth considering. But yeah, the active ingredients are the same damn thing.

4 Likes