Laxatives for ladies

This is also super common with “baby” products. Aquaphor, for example, slaps a “baby” logo on some of their products and charges a little more for it.

I prefer it when companies are honest about it when two products are identical but for packaging and charge the same for both. Like the good folks over at Thinksport, who make both “Thinksport Kids” and “Thinkbaby” sunscreen, and include in their FAQ:

What is the Difference between the thinksport and thinkbaby sunscreens?
The short answer…nothing. The slightly longer answer is that we were previously producing our BPA Free Feeding Sets with our logo across them (“thinkbaby”). We received some push back from 5 year olds that insisted that they were no longer babies and didn’t want to see the word “baby” on any of their products. So we applied this logic to the sunscreen, knowing that kids above a certain age might push back if we didn’t have another version available.

8 Likes

That is worth keeping in mind. I have had patients with allergy to certain generic preparations who tolerate the brand name fine. More to a pill than the name on it.

5 Likes

Do I have to ask for it in a delicate, traditionally-feminine fashion, or can I desperately shout “I need to shit NOW!” when asked if I need assistance?

14 Likes

I used to take Midol, to the chargrin of some of my friends. It seemed to help with pain better than just Tylenol.

3 Likes

You could sell it alongside the “tactical” baby carriers and extremely aggro water…

11 Likes

Hang on. Now I’m wondering if Up & Up is the brand name or instructions for use…

5 Likes

That is an odd brand name for a laxative. It seems to be the opposite direction of where you’d want the…results to go. “Down and Out” would be much better than “Up and Up”.

1 Like

Just look at the abs on that colon!

5 Likes

No judgement.

Full disclosure, I did that once too. (It was university, we were all experimenting.)

7 Likes

Did you like it because it felt different?

6 Likes

There’s even a name for this phenomenon, it’s called the “Pink Tax.”

14 Likes

As someone who has had laxatives play a role in her eating disorders, what jumps out at me is that the ladies laxatives boasts being a ‘stimulating laxative’. I haven’t seen more than this picture so I don’t know if there’s actually any added stimulant in the medication but if I were standing in the isle and thought there might be something in my laxative that also somehow might boost my metabolism I would choose that product in a heartbeat.

That with the comfort coating that may or may not make the long term use of these easier on my digestive tract makes is seem to me that this is directly marketed towards women who have eating disorders.

12 Likes

I think it was more the transgressive nature of it that attracted me. I decided, though, that it really wasn’t my thing and went back to Macholax, which I find more effective. I think it’s the sand.

9 Likes

We also now have Nasacort and Children’s Nasacort:

They are exactly the same, 55 mcg per spray. At Amazon, the regular is $23.35. The children’s is $12.33. So that’s 10 cents a spray vs. 20 cents. And you get the added benefit of retarding childrens’ growth and increasing their chance of cataracts and glaucoma, as with most steroids.

This should never have gone over-the-counter.

1 Like

It does get in there.

4 Likes

Sadly, there’s prior art.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/26/christian-poincheval_n_6227404.html

1 Like

The pictures say “240 sprays (two 120 spray bottles)” on the regular and “60 sprays” on the children’s version (probably to limit the total amount of drug a child could accidentally ingest off a single bottle). Are your per-dose price calculations based on these?

4 Likes

There are some differences (though unfortunately the really toxic ingredients that are banned in other countries tends to be ubiquitous in US shampoos), though not many that even professionals would recognize. I remember my mother recounting a story wherein her hairdresser had told her that her hair looked great, and what shampoo did she use? My mother told her, and the immediate response was, “Oh that’s stuff’s bad - it’s got wax in it!” Which lead me to believe that wax is, in fact, exactly what you want to put in your hair but the beauty industry wants to sell more expensive, “wax free” products.

1 Like

Have I told this story here before? I (F) used my (M) roommate’s shampoo once; turns out men’s shampoo has things like menthol and caffeine to stimulate the scalp and so you can feel it working, and anyway, let me tell you, you don’t want to get menthol accidentally rinsed onto your ladybits, nope nope nope, it’s very painful.

9 Likes

I like the tea tree oil stuff.

Though I have a wierd scalp and use a combo of shampoos that keep it mostly from bothering me during the day.

1 Like