Leaders and religion

No. There is no evidence of that. I’m not sure why you’re so keen to claim that there was a Jewish president, but there hasn’t been up to now.

7 Likes

i could have sworn i read it somewhere. maybe im thinking of another country

Well, yes, I mean, there is Israel for example.

8 Likes

has canada ever had a jewish PM?

I wouldn’t know. Ask a Canadian, perhaps.

2 Likes

soory, i thought this forum was all canadians

Are you Canadian? This is a pretty international forum, actually. Primarily made of up native English speakers, but we have plenty of members from other countries where English isn’t the native language as well (lots of people from German language countries, for example).

But again, the US hasn’t had a Jewish president, I’d guess that most other english language countries this has historically been the case as well. Antisemitism was pretty rampant for most of modern history in Europe and the Americas.

6 Likes

Then maybe you know more about the history of Canadian politics than I do. I’d guess that it’s been pretty dominated by white Christian men, much like the US, Britain, Australia and South Africa.

3 Likes

couldnt tell ya. my folks came from england to vancouver (nanaimo) then almost immediately down to seattle.
ive always kind of thought of modern canada as an extension of England, i mean shit they got the queen on their money still. I wonder how independent from the crown they really are

I would swear you were Canadian? But to be honest, I get you and @Missy_Pants mixed up. I’m sure other people do too.

3 Likes

We’re pretty much independent from the crown. The Queen’s representative can tut tut all she wants about the acts of the current Prime Minister, but they aren’t obliged to actually listen to what she has to say (OK, technically they are, and the LG can really fuck things up for the PM, but such a move would be unprecedented and genuinely scary).

1 Like

Canada is part of the commonwealth, yeah? Does that mean she’s technically the head of state (even though she has no political power)?

3 Likes

Canada has a formidable military for sure, especially your snipers. If push came to shove i doubt that england could enforce anything on you guys.

Newfoundland i could see actually flopping back to rule under the crown, they mostly do not care for what the rest of canada does, and speak in an accent that sounds more like scottish than english

Yes, she’s technically the head of the state. Any bills that are passed have to be signed off by the Lieutenant Governor of Canada, so in theory, if the LG holds that legislation is detrimental to the state, she can block it. This has never happened, and I suspect that if it did, we’d be in a Constitutional crisis that makes 1987 look like a children’s birthday party.

8 Likes

Yeah, she works pretty hard to stay out of politics, I think. She’s pretty much a figure head at this point, yeah (not just in the Commonwealth states, either)?

2 Likes

Can you stretch it to include British PM Benjamin Disraeli who converted as a child and took office the year after Canadian Independence?

4 Likes

bit of a stretch but ill take it. cant believe i blanked on him too… i need more coffee

I think some of them were members of the Amalgated Church of Assholes.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Do you know what a Free mason is?

3 Likes